Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org> on 2004/03/15 12:04:26 UTC

[mini-RT] s/nag/notify

as for social engineering...terminology matters.

   "nag"

has explicit negative connotations (it's not quite as bad as "whine",
but its not very nice)

   "notify"

seems much more neutral. The gump system notifies projects when things
break. This is a nice thing of gump to do (gump is doing us all a big
service), so we shouldn't call it "nag". Being software, gump is quite
objective.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: [mini-RT] s/nag/notify

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
+1

we'll have to keep <nag> as a (deprecated) synonym for a while because
of all the third party descriptors, though.

Stefan

Re: [mini-RT] s/nag/notify

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> as for social engineering...terminology matters.
>    "nag"
[..]
>    "notify"
>
> seems much more neutral.

I'd like to see the GOM keep as declarative as possible, and attempt to
remove action from metadata (in case we wish to re-use it.) I'd like to
e-mail the module/project community more than just notification information,
so perhaps a name like <community-address or something terse like <e-mail.

Mind you, I suspect that (for regexp based 'notification') we'd need some
notification records.

regards,

Adam

Re: [mini-RT] s/nag/notify

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> as for social engineering...terminology matters.
>
>   "nag"
>
> has explicit negative connotations (it's not quite as bad as "whine",
> but its not very nice)
>
>   "notify"
>
> seems much more neutral. The gump system notifies projects when things
> break. This is a nice thing of gump to do (gump is doing us all a big
> service), so we shouldn't call it "nag". Being software, gump is quite
> objective.

+1

--
Stefano, happy to see others picking up the "social engineering"
skills... maybe growing up in a harsh social environment helps ;-)