Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Dixie Reinhardt <di...@aol.com> on 2014/03/07 16:50:37 UTC

Help with inserting and deleting rows in spreadsheet

I'm trying to use this product but find it full of complicated abilities and NO SIMPLE buttons for common things like "inset a row" "delete a row" etc.  It is not apparent how to get the answer to a simple question on the support site.

Can anyone point me to a plain English version of basics?

Many thanks!

Dixie Reinhardt
dixierein@gmail.com

Re: Help with inserting and deleting rows in spreadsheet

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.
Copy to Dixie Reinhardt who is not subscribed to this list.

In addition to Chuck's advice below, check out "Working with columns and
rows" chapter 1 of the Calc User Guide here:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters
Although this guide is for an earlier version of the software _much_ of
the information it contains is still valid for the current version.

The current wiki guides:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide
are work in progress.

Please reply only to the users@openoffice.apache.org list not to any
individual who offers advice or guidance. Additional information about
user support forums can be found here:
http://www.openoffice.org/support/index.html

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Daugherty <dd...@sunflower.com>.
On 3/7/2014 9:50 AM, Dixie Reinhardt wrote:
> I'm trying to use this product but find it full of complicated abilities and NO SIMPLE buttons for common things like "inset a row" "delete a row" etc.  It is not apparent how to get the answer to a simple question on the support site.
>
> Can anyone point me to a plain English version of basics?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Dixie Reinhardt
> dixierein@gmail.com

I don't know of a good reference, but here's how to get a start on what
you immediately want:
1.  With Calc open to any spreadsheet, click "View" in the menu bar,
choose Toolbars, and look for a check-mark in front of "Formatting."  If
it's not there, click on Formatting and the Formatting Toolbar will appear.
2.  Look in this Toolbar for a set of 4 icons that look like tiny 3x3
matrices.  One will have a horizontal green line across its middle,
another  will have a horizontal red line across its middle. A third will
have a vertical green line at its center and the fourth will have a
vertical red line. These insert (green) and delete (red) rows or columns
at the current cell location.  Hovering the mouse cursor over each icon
will show what it  does.  If multiple rows (columns) are selected,
multiple rows (columns) will be inserted or deleted.
3.  In the event these icons are not found, right click the toolbar
anywhere between icons and choose "Customize Toolbar."  Then scroll
through the list to hunt for these icons in the list; check those you
want to add, and click OK.

---