Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2012/05/22 03:16:59 UTC

Windows Install Issues (was RE: Linux install issues)

@Kay,

Yes, that installation-guide page is very out of date.

Did you ever look at this page: <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Win-en-x86-Setup>.

I have additional clean screen shots, all using the released Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0, and I need to update those images and the related remarks where there is now a difference.  They could be used for a how-to, as opposed to the QA analysis, which I need to update with the new shots and any changed observations.

The only way to change the install location is by selecting Custom Install at the appropriate point, and then looking at the dialog corner where the install location can be changed.  Unfortunately, I have learned not to trust that option because there were so many releases (not OO.o) that failed because the code had dependencies that were messed up.

For Apache OpenOffice, this can change the directory in Program Files but I don't think it will do much for application data in the User folder or the Windows registry.  So the User Profile, the extension cache and probably other things will be interfered with if there is an older OpenOffice.org 3.x.x that the user wants to keep running.  (AOO 3.4 usurps the hidden Application Data/OpenOffice/3/user/ ... subfolder.)

I think I'll focus on the file-association problem right now, because it is something that appears to be clear-cut and easy to remedy.

 - Dennis

PS: I did reserve a MediaWiki HowTo page for Windows installation of the OO.o 3.3.0 patch, but did not find time for the amount of work it takes to account for the differences between Windows XP and Windows Vista/7/8.  I suppose this is a good place for details on Windows installation also.

Posted by Xia Zhao <li...@gmail.com>.
Dennis,

2012/5/22 Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>

> One more thing about the idea of installing at the m.n level instead of
> the m level (i.e, m =3, n = 4), is that users can easily keep one or more
> versions behind and mainly side-by-side.  (I think there is some difficulty
> if they are both running at once.)  This has become routine for LibreOffice
> and it seems to allow folks to try out new features without fearing
> regressions of work that is important to them on the older release branch.
>
> I particularly like the fact that I can run multiple LibreOffice main
> branches and Apache OpenOffice (only one though :( side-by-side.  That is
> great for QA, interoperability trouble-shooting, etc.  Even with multiple
> virtual machines, it is handy to have side-by-side installs, if not
> executions, too.

 Yes, I agree with you. Multiple applicaiton installation is one good
testing point and we have covered it in previous testing indeed, though may
the coverage is not large.

Comparing with the multiple application, I care more about the file type
asscociation, especially when one machine install MS Office, LibreOffice
and AOO, previous OO etc.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Juergen Schmidt <
jogischmidt@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 22. Mai 2012 um 04:31 schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> > One more thing about the idea of installing at the m.n level instead of
> the m level (i.e, m =3, n = 4), is that users can easily keep one or more
> versions behind and mainly side-by-side. (I think there is some difficulty
> if they are both running at once.) This has become routine for LibreOffice
> and it seems to allow folks to try out new features without fearing
> regressions of work that is important to them on the older release branch.
> >
> > I particularly like the fact that I can run multiple LibreOffice main
> branches and Apache OpenOffice (only one though :( side-by-side. That is
> great for QA, interoperability trouble-shooting, etc. Even with multiple
> virtual machines, it is handy to have side-by-side installs, if not
> executions, too.
> >
> > But that is a technical case for me. The more important feature is the
> next-version branch install-ahead without burning any bridges.
> that is all nice and potentially useful but it requires also a lot of work
> that have to be done. The question is how many will use it? I think that
> most of our users don't want multiple installations in parallel. They want
> typically an easy installation with less input but good defaults. And they
> expect that .od* files are opened with the office automatically.
>
> We can install the office in parallel and can tweak the user directory to
> have one for each installation. The archive builds for example do that
> already and they don't do a system integration. Good for QA and early
> testing of features.
>
> I think your installations and your personal requirements are very special
> and probably many of us do it special.
>
> The main question is what do our users want and expect by default?

I'm going to have to go with Juergen on this one. As folks on this
development list, yes, installing side by side to test out functionality is
desirable and necessary. But for end users, no.  In fact, most users would
actually hate this and it would be very confusing for them. As a user, I've
HAD this happen in the past. It is not a good thing.

It is our responsibility as developers to assure that new versions work and
burning bridges is a good thing, not a bad one. We should however, put
instructions in the install guide telling folks *how* to do this if they
desire.

On your other comment--

"The only way to change the install location is by selecting Custom Install
at the appropriate point, and then looking at the dialog corner where the
install location can be changed.  Unfortunately, I have learned not to
trust that option because there were so many releases (not OO.o) that
failed because the code had dependencies that were messed up."

well I think this is sufficient. This is what a custom install is all about.

re depencies messed up...hmmm...well that needs some work. I have not had
this experience. Hopefully things have improved.

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [DOC] Re: Windows Install Issues (was RE: Linux install issues)

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <
> dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> That page is provided as the result of a QA analysis that I did.
>>
>> What's important for reuse is the screen captures and some text that
>> indicates the related user actions.  This page itself was not intended as
>> an install guide.
>>
>> If it is adapted to the MediaWiki for use as an Install Guide, it would
>> be under whatever license automatically governs wiki contributions.
>>

> well...um...OK. I did a quick revision to the install guide again -- yeah
> Windows section REALLY outdated, and just kind of mentioned this page in
> passing, with a link to it. I see there's a LOT to it, but, I pointed the
> general user to the section 4., which I thought was pertinent and  pretty
> good.
>
> In terms of on-going maintenance of install materials, it's fine and dandy
> and easy to make wiki pages for these items and just link to them from the
> web based install guide page, as far as I'm concerned. This would be better
> for us is many ways as we could add links to other installation stuff
> volunteers have provided via either the project or ooo wiki.
>
> This being said, a more central "page" approach might be a bit more
> expected and "friendly" to users, who aren't used to going to 4 different
> areas to find information. This would be off putting.
> Maybe one of those things to bring up with the UX group.
>
> So, I'm 50-50 on either approach.
>

>> What am I missing?

on the other hand, if you believe Google Analytics -- no one is bothering
with the install instructions....geez! Maybe something to include in the
READMEs for the future.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> wrote:

> @Kay,
>
> Yes, that installation-guide page is very out of date.
>
> Did you ever look at this page: <
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Win-en-x86-Setup>.
>
> I have additional clean screen shots, all using the released Apache
> OpenOffice 3.4.0, and I need to update those images and the related remarks
> where there is now a difference.  They could be used for a how-to, as
> opposed to the QA analysis, which I need to update with the new shots and
> any changed observations.

no...I did not see this. Thanks for pointing it out. I would LOVE to just
link the Windows install section to a separate page like this.