Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 2001/10/05 05:41:44 UTC

Re: When would be a good time to switch gump to xerces 2?

Sam Ruby wrote:
> I asked this nearly two months ago, and got:
>
> >I'm all for it but just don't have time at the moment. Once I
> >get a good beta candidate ready we'll be in better shape to
> >flip the switch.

We have two betas out the door now and I want to do another one
with the latest bug fixes and XNI changes soon. It still won't
include XML Schema because that work is still ongoing but
perhaps in one of the few beta releases after that we'll start
seeing some XML Schema support trickle in.

>    Compilation failures:
>
>      xml-xalan2

I can imagine that this would be the biggest problem because
Xalan is tied directly to the implementation of Xerces 1.x.
>From the build failure report, the DTM compilation relies on
the way that pull-parsing was performed in the past. Since
this has changed in Xerces2, this code would need to be
updated before it could be used with Xerces2.

>    Runtime failures with xerces2 but not present in xerces1:
>
>      xml-axis

If this failure results from parsing the file in your message,
I don't know what the problem is because I can parse the file
with no problems in Xerces2.  Although, the document included
in your message is not the one that the build failure reports.
(The sample file has the <m:reverseData> element and the error
report shows a problem with the "m" prefix not being bound for
the <m:reverseString> element.)