Posted to users@maven.apache.org by teja007 <te...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/10 16:38:49 UTC

Re: How can the checkstyle plugin be configured to fail the build?

nitinaggarwal wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am facing a similiar issue in my project.
> But additionally i want the a checkstyle file FC-CheckStyle.xml
> customized to my project be invoked in order to  find out if there are
> checkstyle errors .
>
> how do i do that?
>
> Additionally can some one tell me how can i refer to this file as this is
> located in my root directory
> and i want to invoke the file in a directory fc
> to be more clear i will provide a brief about my project.
>
> FC-4.0 Source-->application-->fc    (my pom is here)
>                                             -->er   (and here)
>
>                       -->portal
>                       --> components-->pom
>                                                --> pom
>

> Can some one suggest me how to perform this checkstyle validation.
> would you suggest me the validation to be at the top level or at every
> level as i am having a multli project build.
>
> but the issue with this approach is that all the developers would have to
> build the entire project rather than a sub project for finding out check
> style errors.
>
> any comments how we can extend something from the top level pom.
>
> Nitin
>
> nitin.fbsi.aggarwal@fidelity.com
>

> Guillaume Boucherie wrote:
>>
>> try something like this.
>>
>> <build>
>>   <plugins>
>>     <plugin>
>>       <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins<groupId>
>>       <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
>>       <executions>
>>         <execution>
>>           <goals>
>>             <goal>check</goal>
>>           </goals>
>>         </execution>
>>       </executions>
>>     </plugin>
>>   </plugins>
>> </build>
>>
>> by default the check goal is link to verify phase
>>
>> CletteBou
>>

>> 2007/6/21, Andrew Moores <am...@yahoo.com>:
>>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I want to make my build fail if there are any checkstyle errors in my
>>> code.  I have added the following to my pom:
>>>
>>> <build>
>>>   <plugins>
>>>     <plugin>
>>>       <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>>>       <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
>>>       <configuration>
>>>           <failOnViolation>true</failOnViolation>
>>>       </configuration>
>>>     </plugin>
>>>   </plugins>
>>> </build>
>>>
>>> When I execute mvn checkstyle:check my build fails when I have a
>>> checkstyle error.
>>>
>>> When I execute mvn install the build does not fail.  Reading the plugin
>>> pages I expected my build to fail for the intall goal as well, what else
>>> do
>>> I need to add to the POM to make the build fail?

> [...]

This would be more apt:
                 <build>

                        …..

<plugins>

  …

                          <plugin>

<artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>

                                           <executions>

                                                             <execution>

<phase>install</phase>

                                                              <goals>

<goal>checkstyle</goal> <!—checkstyle : generates the reports in a site
folder in HTML format-->

<!—  check: can be used if only the errors have to be checked-->

                                                              </goals>

                                                             </execution>

                                                   </executions>

                                      <configuration>

<failOnViolation>true</failOnViolation>   <!—will fail the build if
checkstyle violated -->

<enableRulesSummary>false</enableRulesSummary>

<configLocation>checkstyle-checker1.xml</configLocation> <!—Customized
checker xml located in the location of the pom.xml-->

                                      </configuration>

                          </plugin>

                        </plugins>

                  </build>

If checkstyle doesn't work then use check