Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2008/02/04 18:57:43 UTC

Re: [general] Should we make portlib a separate component?

On 4 February 2008 at 18:34, "Alexei Fedotov" <al...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello Mark,
> Doesn't autoconf insert GPL license in the code by default, does it?

I don't think so.  Wouldn't that already be a problem if it did - since
we use apr and apr-util which both use autoconf?

Anyway, don't get hung up on that.  It was just a example in what was
intended to be a general comment about using the right tool for the job.
(autoconf might be that tool but there are other choices these days.)

> Generally modularity looks tempting.

Good.  That was my main motivation.

> I'm not yet convinced that we should generally move away from using
> APR instead of moving APR closer to what we want.

That would be a huge task and I see no sign of effort being applied to
that problem.  I'd like to be wrong though?

The portlib API is a good deal more flexible.  (Nevertheless, it might
be an interesting exercise to implement portlib on APR.)

> The synergy with another Apache project seems to be a good Apache
> practice.

I agree but I don't see anything synergistic about combining harmony
with APR.  APR is not a good fit - see discussions in the archives.

Regards,
 Mark.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
> > I'm not yet convinced that we should generally move away from using
> > APR instead of moving APR closer to what we want.
>
> That would be a huge task and I see no sign of effort being applied to
> that problem.  I'd like to be wrong though?

Hmm, it might be easier to advance Harmony portlib to separate
(sub)project as alternative to APR.

> The portlib API is a good deal more flexible.  (Nevertheless, it might
> be an interesting exercise to implement portlib on APR.)

There is one more dependency on APR existing in DRLVM, it is log4cxx.
Anyway, I doubt we can afford moving from APR in near future, benefits
are not so evident to force this task.

--
Alexey