Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com> on 2013/06/21 20:02:55 UTC

Re: proposed removal of qpid::client API (was Re: QPID code reorg/cleanups - please read.)

Good point Bill - I've created a JIRA to cut the console over to the messaging api:

Though, technically, I don't think we can easily remove the old client API from the _python_ client.  IIRC, the new messaging api depends on it.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 14:27 -0400, Chuck Rolke wrote:
> Not to forget that the WCF project also links to qpidclient. Would the proposed changes retire WCF as well?

I don't think so - the WCF build is entirely internal to qpid and the
header files are still present internally (after all the messaging API
itself depends on the client API internally).

So since WCF isn't dependent on the exported header files I think it'd
still be ok.

Andrew

Re: proposed removal of qpid::client API (was Re: QPID code reorg/cleanups - please read.)

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
Not to forget that the WCF project also links to qpidclient. Would the proposed changes retire WCF as well?
-Chuck

Re: proposed removal of qpid::client API (was Re: QPID code reorg/cleanups - please read.)

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 14:02 -0400, Ken Giusti wrote:
> Good point Bill - I've created a JIRA to cut the console over to the messaging api:

> Though, technically, I don't think we can easily remove the old client API from the _python_ client.  IIRC, the new messaging api depends on it.

Can we be really careful about our use of words here.

We can't remove the *library* dependency here (and there is no current
proposal to do this) but the python client has no API dependency on the
old client API.

In other words: The swigged libraries do not need us to ship any C++
header files let alone the obsolete client headers files.

*There is no proposal to stop "shipping" the qpid client library
functionality where it is internally used by other libraries with
supported APIs.*

Andrew

Re: proposed removal of qpid::client API (was Re: QPID code reorg/cleanups - please read.)

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.