Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by mech <me...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> on 2003/01/25 00:33:18 UTC

Tomcat 4.1.18/19 - How to activate gzip support?

Hi,

I'm currently using Tomcat 4.1.18 for my webapp quite successfully.
Unfortunately one db output page is almost 60KB large (1/3 of it is only
spaces and tabs) so I was thinking about trying Tomcat 4.1.19's new HTTP
1.1 gzip support.

I installed 4.1.19 and my webapp is running again, but how to enable
gzip support? My Mozilla supports gzip according to header infos.
But how do I find out if my pages really got compressed? Mozilla's page
info still says encoding=ISO... (although I'm not sure if this is
because of the page content). Sorry, but I didn't see/feel any
difference yet ;-) Did I forget something?

Anyhow I wonder how to activate gzip for the connector? Shouldn't there
be some kind of attribute in server.xml to set for
<Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector"... ?
But I saw nothing in the documentation like "enableGZIP=true".

I also read that there was (is?) a filter servlet available somewhere to
be used for on-the-fly gzip compression. Where can I get some more info
how to obtain it and set it up, if I wouldn't use the http connector
support?

Any ideas about this.
Michael

RE: Tomcat 4.1.18/19 - How to activate gzip support?

Posted by mech <me...@rz.fh-augsburg.de>.
I just downloaded the connectors source... (i never thought i would do
that...)

After having a glimpse at the code I can tell the following:

you can set an attribute "compression" to either "on", "off" or "force"

I don't know what the class FakeOutputStream in the
GZipOutputFilter.java might be by now...

Anyway... Let's try brute "force"... Maybe something happens. ;-)
Although somewhere in the code it says that "force" was just for testing
purposes... and seems to be not 100% anyway yet... Guess that's why it's
"alpha".

Michael

Posted by mech <me...@rz.fh-augsburg.de>.
What parameter did you set? Nobody seems to know how to activate gzip
support for 4.1.19...
(Hope you didn't try enableGZIP="true" *g*)

Actually that's the question... How to activate this gzip feature? The
release-notes say that the coyote connector would support gzip now, but
nowhere i found how to enable it. Obviously nobody (except hopefully the
developer) know how to use it. Or is it still that "alpha" quality that
it's a secret.

Anyhow, could we get a hint from development side how to activate this
compression feature? Or maybe it intended as a chrismas gift? ;-)
Michael