Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by ru...@us.ibm.com on 2000/01/13 13:51:29 UTC

Ant directory structure questions

These are all simple startup pains, but the real question is how do we want
this to look.  If we have consensus, I'll help in making the changes across
the various jakarta-* projects (and pending the vote, on the xml projects
too).  But for now, just looking at jakarta-ant:

bootstrap.bat:set C=%CLASSPATH%;..\jakarta-tools\projectx-tr2.jar
bootstrap.sh:CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:../jakarta-tomcat/projectx-tr2.jar:src:${CLASSDIR}

   => It doesn't make much sense to make jakarta-ant a separate project if
   it still prereqs jakarta-tools.  My vote is to move this jar to ant.

build.bat:java -classpath
"%CLASSPATH%;..\jakarta-tools\ant.jar;..\jakarta-tools\projectx-tr2.jar"
org.apache.tools.ant.Main %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
build.sh:ADDL_CLASSPATH=./../jakarta-tools/ant.jar:./../jakarta-tools/projectx-tr2.jar

   => in addition to the projectx-tr2, this lists ant as still in
   jakarta-tools.  Simple oversight.

build.xml: <jar jarfile="../ant.jar" basedir="${build.dir}" items="org"
manifest="${manifest}"/>

   => Is this really where we want ant.jar to be placed?  When ant was a
   subdirectory of jakarta-tools this made sense.  My vote is to eliminate
   the "../"

build.xml: <copyfile src="../projectx-tr2.jar"
dest="${dist.dir}/ant/lib/xml.jar"/>

   => yet another location for projectx-tr2.jar.  My vote again is to
   remove the "../".

build.xml: <copyfile src="../moo.jar" dest="${dist.dir}/ant/lib/moo.jar"/>

   => this doesn't belong here at all, right?

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  First post?  <grin>

Re: Ant directory structure questions

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.com>.
on 1/13/00 4:51 AM, rubys@us.ibm.com at rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> These are all simple startup pains, but the real question is how do we want
> this to look.  If we have consensus, I'll help in making the changes across
> the various jakarta-* projects (and pending the vote, on the xml projects
> too).  But for now, just looking at jakarta-ant:

I've replied on ant-dev. Please don't reply on tomcat-dev as this is a first
class independent project now and cross posting can be annoying.

.duncan

Re: Ant directory structure questions

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.com>.
on 1/13/00 4:51 AM, rubys@us.ibm.com at rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> bootstrap.bat:set C=%CLASSPATH%;..\jakarta-tools\projectx-tr2.jar
> bootstrap.sh:CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:../jakarta-tomcat/projectx-tr2.jar:src:${C
> LASSDIR}
>
> => It doesn't make much sense to make jakarta-ant a separate project if
> it still prereqs jakarta-tools.  My vote is to move this jar to ant.

Yep -- this was intermediate. My first item last night was to get the code
moved over. It was already late, so the only thing I did was modify the
scripts so that things worked -- but even as I mod'd them I grimaced as a
real solution needs to be taken. You've hit it right on the head.

I wanted to post a message (ya beat me to it! :) about ant.jar -- I think
that we should do that and change the scripts accordingly.

We also have to decide if we are going to move in projectx-tr2.jar into the
workspace as well. I'm ok with that.

> build.bat:java -classpath
> "%CLASSPATH%;..\jakarta-tools\ant.jar;..\jakarta-tools\projectx-tr2.jar"
> org.apache.tools.ant.Main %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
> build.sh:ADDL_CLASSPATH=./../jakarta-tools/ant.jar:./../jakarta-tools/projectx
> -tr2.jar
>
> => in addition to the projectx-tr2, this lists ant as still in
> jakarta-tools.  Simple oversight.

Yep. Needs to be changed.

> build.xml: <jar jarfile="../ant.jar" basedir="${build.dir}" items="org"
> manifest="${manifest}"/>
>
> => Is this really where we want ant.jar to be placed?  When ant was a
> subdirectory of jakarta-tools this made sense.  My vote is to eliminate
> the "../"

+1

> build.xml: <copyfile src="../projectx-tr2.jar"
> dest="${dist.dir}/ant/lib/xml.jar"/>
>
> => yet another location for projectx-tr2.jar.  My vote again is to
> remove the "../".

+1

> build.xml: <copyfile src="../moo.jar" dest="${dist.dir}/ant/lib/moo.jar"/>
>
> => this doesn't belong here at all, right?

No, not really. Moo is a seperate beast and shouldn't ship with Ant.

> P.S.  First post?  <grin>

First real post -- I've got 4 or so in ahead of you testing things out... :)

.duncan