Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by cm...@collab.net on 2002/07/24 22:51:12 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 2684 - trunk/subversion/include trunk/subversion/mod_dav_svn trunk/subversion/clients/cmdline trunk/subversion/libsvn_repos trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_dav

Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi> writes:

> I hope you can clear up this one detail.
>
> cmpilato@tigris.org wrote:
> > * subversion/libsvn_repos/log.c
> >   (detect_changed): Use 'M' for modify, not 'U'.  Use new
> >     svn_log_changed_path_t structures in the returned hash, and
> >     check for copy history on adds and replaces.
>
> Ookay.
>
> > * subversion/clients/cmdline/log-cmd.c
> >   (log_message_receiver): Print copyfrom info returned from `svn
> >   log'.
>
> Good. But you didn't change log_message_receiver_xml - that's OK
> too, no-one else remembers either. I'll do it.

Doh!  Thanks.

> >            SVN_ERR (svn_utf_cstring_from_utf8 (&path_native, path, pool));
> > -          printf ("   %c %s\n", action, path_native);
> > +          printf ("   %c %s%s\n",
> > +                  (log_item->action == 'M') ? 'U' : log_item->action,
> > +                  path_native, copy_data);
> >          }
>
> But I don't get this? Why do we hide 'M' as an action, and instead
> show 'U'?

The 'M' is simply more "correct" for internal purposes.  The 'U'
that the client binary prints exists only for consistency with the
kind of output 'svn update' yields.

> Should the XML output have the same action letter as well?

Sure.  I guess.  I dunno nuttin' 'bout the XML output.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 09:17:10AM -0500, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

> > then this to me looks like you fixed the HTML escaping by updating
> > tweak-log.cgi.  But this is of course not the case.  You fixed it by
> > _modifying_ that file.  An update doesn't contribute any new
> > information to the repository, and thus can't fix anything there.
> >
> > Why not just let the output be consistent with that of `svn status' at
> > the committers end just before the commit instead?  That seems more
> > logical, since the log is talking about commits and not updates.
>
> I'm only the messenger! :-) Seriously, I personally would *rather* see
> the 'M' for modify (same reasons you have), but whoever (Karl?) coded
> the original schema wanted otherwise.  It's certainly not too late to
> change it though -- I mean, the feature has only been working for,
> what, a couple of days now?  Certainly folks haven't written entire
> GUIs around it.

i was also confused the first time i saw it, so +1 on changing the
output to mirror 'svn st' instead of 'svn up'.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:
> I'm only the messenger! :-) Seriously, I personally would *rather* see
> the 'M' for modify (same reasons you have), but whoever (Karl?) coded
> the original schema wanted otherwise.  It's certainly not too late to
> change it though -- I mean, the feature has only been working for,
> what, a couple of days now?  Certainly folks haven't written entire
> GUIs around it.

Yup, +1 on changing to 'M' here too.

Posted by cm...@collab.net.

Posted by Marcus Comstedt <ma...@mc.pp.se>.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:

> The client, however, wants its output to be consistent with that of
> `svn update', so it maps like so:
>
>    A => A
>    D => D
>    R => R
>    M => U

I've been meaning to ask this, but _why_ does it want the output to
be consistent with that of `svn update'?  I think it's rather
unintuitive.  If the log message is

rev 2701:  cmpilato | 2002-07-25 04:06:31 +0200 (Thu, 25 Jul 2002) | 3
lines
Changed paths:
   U /trunk/tools/cgi/tweak-log.cgi

* tools/cgi/tweak-log.cgi
  (doFetchLog): html-escape the current log that inits the textarea.

then this to me looks like you fixed the HTML escaping by updating
tweak-log.cgi.  But this is of course not the case.  You fixed it by
_modifying_ that file.  An update doesn't contribute any new
information to the repository, and thus can't fix anything there.

Why not just let the output be consistent with that of `svn status' at
the committers end just before the commit instead?  That seems more
logical, since the log is talking about commits and not updates.

  // Marcus

Re: svn commit: rev 2684 - trunk/subversion/include trunk/subversion/mod_dav_svn trunk/subversion/clients/cmdline trunk/subversion/libsvn_repos trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_dav

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi> writes:

> cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> >> But I don't get this? Why do we hide 'M' as an action, and instead
> >> show 'U'?
> >
> > The 'M' is simply more "correct" for internal purposes.  The 'U'
> > that the client binary prints exists only for consistency with the
> > kind of output 'svn update' yields.
>
> Oh, so there is no 'U' coming out as an action anymore, they are all
> 'M'? Or is there both 'U' and 'M' coming out and we just don't want to
> tell the user the distinction?

Sorry.  I've managed to confuse you.

Posted by Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi>.
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
>> But I don't get this? Why do we hide 'M' as an action, and instead
>> show 'U'?
>
> The 'M' is simply more "correct" for internal purposes.  The 'U'
> that the client binary prints exists only for consistency with the
> kind of output 'svn update' yields.

Oh, so there is no 'U' coming out as an action anymore, they are all
'M'? Or is there both 'U' and 'M' coming out and we just don't want to
tell the user the distinction?

There was a similar thing on that very same spot some time ago,
changing some other letters around. Luckily, that got removed some
time ago.

>> Should the XML output have the same action letter as well?
>
> Sure.  I guess.  I dunno nuttin' 'bout the XML output.

Well, since our log output format is machine parseable, the XML output
does not need to be any more machine parseable. So whatever is fine
for the normal output, should be fine for the XML output.

-- Naked