Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <fi...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/11 12:25:56 UTC

[classlib][Sound]Great News! Tritonus and Harmony can now join together!

Hi All,

    Here is a great news that the two authors of the open source
java-sound project Tritonus[1], Matthias and Florian,  have kindly
agreed that they can re-license Tritonus to be BSD or BSD-like
license, so that Tritonus and Harmony can now join together to build a
full-implemented sound module.

     With Tritonus' help, Harmony can now have real-implementation of
java-sound, have can now have its own voice :) What's more, Tritonus
support variety of audio types more than stardard RI does ( though
some of them are GPL/LGPL, and we still can let users to decided
whether to download themselves).

    I don't know if we need some further official steps, would some
Harmony PMCs help do this? Thanks!

    Thanks very much to Matthias and Florian, and cheers!

[1] http://tritonus.org/

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [classlib][Sound]Great News! Tritonus and Harmony can now join together!

Posted by Yang Paulex <pa...@gmail.com>.
Great! Thank you very much, Matthias and Florian! It's really helpful to
Harmony!

Also thank Jimmy to share us this great news!

2007/9/11, Jimmy,Jing Lv <fi...@gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
>
>     Here is a great news that the two authors of the open source
> java-sound project Tritonus[1], Matthias and Florian,  have kindly
> agreed that they can re-license Tritonus to be BSD or BSD-like
> license, so that Tritonus and Harmony can now join together to build a
> full-implemented sound module.
>
>      With Tritonus' help, Harmony can now have real-implementation of
> java-sound, have can now have its own voice :) What's more, Tritonus
> support variety of audio types more than stardard RI does ( though
> some of them are GPL/LGPL, and we still can let users to decided
> whether to download themselves).
>
>     I don't know if we need some further official steps, would some
> Harmony PMCs help do this? Thanks!
>
>     Thanks very much to Matthias and Florian, and cheers!
>
> [1] http://tritonus.org/
>
> --
>
> Best Regards!
>
> Jimmy, Jing Lv
> China Software Development Lab, IBM

--
Paulex Yang

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Yes, this is great news!
Thanks to Matthias and Florian!

SY, Alexey

Posted by "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <fi...@gmail.com>.
2007/9/13, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> Jimmy,Jing Lv wrote:
> >     So do we need to write a official letter or let them sign some
> > agreement? Or just let them send Harmony a copy of src code with BSD
> > license? Sorry I don't know much on such legal issues.
>
> No, they would not be licensing it under an alternative license just for
> us, so I would expect to see a change to the licensing on their
> distribution site, and we can create a dependency that picks the code up
> directly from there under those terms.

In the lastest mail two author has agreed to execute the relicensing
in their CVS
repository and then submit the code to Harmony repository (Great,
isn't it! :) ). It may
take time that they still need to identify the parts originating from
3rd parties.

What's more, they have their own plan to keep the tritonus project alive as a
repository for the plugins, so it would be ideal to separate the Java Sound core
 and the plugins in their mind. And then Harmony will "own" the core,
and tritonus
will maintain the plugins, which Harmony can integrate easily as
precompiled .jar
files (or with regular source drops from tritonus). It do make sense
to Harmony IMHO :)

So let's now wait a while for re-licensing. :)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <fi...@gmail.com>.
2007/9/12, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> Jimmy,Jing Lv wrote:
> >     Here is a great news that the two authors of the open source
> > java-sound project Tritonus[1], Matthias and Florian,  have kindly
> > agreed that they can re-license Tritonus to be BSD or BSD-like
> > license, so that Tritonus and Harmony can now join together to build a
> > full-implemented sound module.
>
> `Sounds` great ;-)
>
> >      With Tritonus' help, Harmony can now have real-implementation of
> > java-sound, have can now have its own voice :) What's more, Tritonus
> > support variety of audio types more than stardard RI does ( though
> > some of them are GPL/LGPL, and we still can let users to decided
> > whether to download themselves).
> >
> >     I don't know if we need some further official steps, would some
> > Harmony PMCs help do this? Thanks!
>
> Nothing special, we should help to ensure the license they choose is
> compatible, then wait until the relicensing is complete.  Then we can
> make it a dependency for our sound implementation.

Hi,

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
Great news! Thanks to Matthias and Florian!

-xiaofeng

http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com

Re: [classlib][Sound]Great News! Tritonus and Harmony can now join together!

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/07, Jimmy,Jing Lv <fi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    Here is a great news that the two authors of the open source
> java-sound project Tritonus[1], Matthias and Florian,  have kindly
> agreed that they can re-license Tritonus to be BSD or BSD-like
> license, so that Tritonus and Harmony can now join together to build a
> full-implemented sound module.
>
>     With Tritonus' help, Harmony can now have real-implementation of
> java-sound, have can now have its own voice :) What's more, Tritonus
> support variety of audio types more than stardard RI does ( though
> some of them are GPL/LGPL, and we still can let users to decided
> whether to download themselves).
>
>    I don't know if we need some further official steps, would some
> Harmony PMCs help do this? Thanks!
>
>    Thanks very much to Matthias and Florian, and cheers!

Great! Thanks, all!

> [1] http://tritonus.org/
>
> --
>
> Best Regards!
>
> Jimmy, Jing Lv
> China Software Development Lab, IBM

--
Leo Li

Posted by Sean Qiu <se...@gmail.com>.
Great news indeed!

2007/9/11, Jimmy,Jing Lv <fi...@gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
>
>    Here is a great news that the two authors of the open source
> java-sound project Tritonus[1], Matthias and Florian,  have kindly
> agreed that they can re-license Tritonus to be BSD or BSD-like
> license, so that Tritonus and Harmony can now join together to build a
> full-implemented sound module.
>
>     With Tritonus' help, Harmony can now have real-implementation of
> java-sound, have can now have its own voice :) What's more, Tritonus
> support variety of audio types more than stardard RI does ( though
> some of them are GPL/LGPL, and we still can let users to decided
> whether to download themselves).
>
>    I don't know if we need some further official steps, would some
> Harmony PMCs help do this? Thanks!
>
>    Thanks very much to Matthias and Florian, and cheers!
>
> [1] http://tritonus.org/
>
> --
>
> Best Regards!
>
> Jimmy, Jing Lv