Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by melb <me...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/02 09:27:52 UTC

Slow queries

Hi,

I have a solr collection with 16 millions documents and growing daily with
10000 documents
recently it is becoming slow to answer my request ( several seconds)
specially when I use multi-words query
I am running solr on a machine with 32G RAM but heavy used one

What are my options to optimize the collection and speed up querying it
is it normal with this volume of data? is sharding is a good solution?

regards,

Re: Slow queries

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
bq: Is it better to put the solr on dedicated machine?

Yes, absolutely. Solr _likes_ memory, and on a
machine with lots of other processes you'll keep
running into this problem.

FWIW, I've seen between 10M and 300M docs fit into
16G for the JVM. But see Uwe's excellent blog on MMapDirectory
and not over-allocating memory to the JVM here:
http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html

Also see:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems
and
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceFactors

Best,
Erick

Re: Slow queries

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

using Jetty is the recommended approach while using Tomcat is not recommend (unless you are a Tomcat shop).

But any discussion comes back to the original question - why is it slow now? Are you I/O-bound, are CPU-bound, how many documents are committed/deleted over the time, do you having expensive SOLR queries, what is your server code is doing - many questions and even more answers to that - in other words nobody can help you when the basic work is not done. And when you know your application performance-wise you probably also the solution :-)

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: Slow queries

Re: Slow queries

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at>.
It might be a good idea to

* move SOLR to a dedicated box :-)
* load your SOLR server with 20.000.000 documents (the estimated number of documents after three years) and do performance testing & tuning

Afterwards you have some hard facts about hardware sizing and expected performance for the next three years :-)

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: Slow queries

Re: Slow queries

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at>.
If you performance was fine but degraded over the time it might be
easier to check / increase the memory to have better disk caching.

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl