Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/01 04:48:09 UTC

Re: nb-javac for building NetBeans itself

On 10/30/22 11:40, Jaroslav Tulach wrote:
> Dne úterý 25. října 2022 11:02:07 CET, Neil C Smith napsal(a):
>> On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 at 08:06, Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>   JDK `javac` drops support for old `-target` versions. E.g. version 11 can
>>>   no>
>>> longer target 1.5 bytecode:
>> Doesn't that take nb-javac beyond ever being just an automated
>> backport of the current javac to run on older JDK?
> nb-javac is an automated backport of the latest JDK's javac to run on JDK8+.
> No change here.
>
>> I'm confused!  Wasn't the original proposal (and our existing usage of
>> it) about using nb-javac to support later source and target while
>> running on an older JDK.  This also adds supporting older source and
>> target while running on a newer JDK?
> By fixing the compiler in the build script (by downloading it from Maven
> central) you will be able to build such version of NetBeans on JDK33+ even if
> it drops support for any `-target` NetBeans currently needs.
>
> If we stick using `javac` from the JDK the NetBeans build runs on, then at one
> moment you will need to download an ancient JDK to built old version of
> NetBeans as JDK33+ would be "too modern".

I do not see any problem with that. I'm not considering myself siding
with the cargo cult, but we have reached the time when downloading a
full JDK is not that different than downloading a compiler.

I'd rather branch off the platform for Java 8 as netbeans-museum.
Whoever needs that it would still be built on Java 8 and if there would
be some "muzeologist", they could create releases from it, also
backporting whatever new would happen on the platform code. That's
usually not too much...

I'm still not convinced.