Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Melanie Desaive <m....@heinlein-support.de> on 2018/11/26 13:28:18 UTC

IOPS limitation with XenServer as hypervisor

Hi all,

do I get it right, that there is no way to limit IOPS per volume with
XenServer as hypervisor? (Using ACS 4.11)

I tried the settings to limit IO bandwidth and IOPS per volume on
hypervisor side with XenServer and only the bandwidth limitation seems
to have an effect. Seems to me, that this is not supported from the
XenServer side at all. Is that correct?

See:
https://bugs.xenserver.org/browse/XSO-580
https://github.com/xapi-project/blktap/issues/241

Are those features working with KVM?

Greetings, Melanie

Heinlein Support GmbH
Linux: Akademie - Support - Hosting

http://www.heinlein-support.de
Tel: 030 / 40 50 51 - 0
Fax: 030 / 40 50 51 - 19

Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG:
HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg,
Geschäftsführer: Peer Heinlein  -- Sitz: Berlin

RE: IOPS limitation with XenServer as hypervisor

Posted by Yordan Kostov <Yo...@worldsupport.info>.
Hello Meanie,

	That is true. XenServer does not support IOPS per volume. I did asked Citrix about a year ago about that. With the recent new features regarding storage (thin provisioning over shared block devices!) I really hope they will continue they focus on storage with the next release 8.0.

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2018/10/03/major-platform-changes-to-xenserver-what-you-need-to-know/

Best regards,
Jordan

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Melanie,

with KVM it works (but I'm not aware of Xen atm) - you set upper limits for
number of bytes per sec and IOs per seconds for both read and writes, on
Disk Offering (and Compute offering) by defining HyperVisor QoS values.

Example for manual play:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Virtualization_IO_Throttling

Cheers
Andrija