Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by 하지양 <ha...@koreaspacedata.com> on 2022/07/25 23:00:37 UTC

BOUNDED VS UNBOUNDED

Hello Again!

I am very beginners in flink.

it is not important issue. so you can skip.
but, I have question. noting relation one.

  I confuse in some streaming....
  oneday some people want to not finished protocol.

  I want to explain "Dedekind Cut"

  is it unbounded streaming? can be?

  or *what is more have meaning "UNBOUNDED
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-134%3A+Batch+execution+for+the+DataStream+API>"*

pls, solve my confusion.
but, it was not issue in my work.
         'only can do that! how solve that issue?'

Arctic Regard
HAJI                                                   from Republic of
Korea.

Re: BOUNDED VS UNBOUNDED

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
Hello ,

Let me attempt to clarify

You have two categories of terminology: data sources and data processing
runtimes.

For data sources you have BOUNDED and UNBOUNDED

For processing runtime you have BATCH and STREAMING

When you are referring to data sources, BOUNDED data sets have a fixed
amount of data like a bottle of water but UNBOUNDED has no fixed amount of
data at it can be assumed to be coming in continuously like a flowing tap
or faucet of water.

BATCH mode is a processing runtime typically used for processing fixed data
set (BOUNDED) and STREAMING mode is used as a processing runtime for
UNBOUNDED data streams with no fixed set of records to process.

I hope this explains it better.

Israel Ekpo
Lead Instructor, IzzyAcademy.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/izzyacademy