Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Steve Motola <sm...@thelabllc.com> on 2006/05/15 17:41:27 UTC

JavaOne and Tapestry Marketing

Leaving for San Fran in a couple hours.  Looking forward to meeting Tapestry
folk that will be there, I assume we'll crowd around at the Tapestry and Trails
BOFs.

The Tipping Point

In regard to Tapestry, I've been doing a lot of networking lately and folk just
do not know about it, or have heard about it peripherally and just generally
heard good things and give props to Howard.

The two cents for those at JavaOne and to follow up afterward:

  TALK ABOUT TAPESTRY.

Put down the dev hat for a little bit and start shouting.  Talk about why it is
the best web framework out there, how you enjoy using it, how productive it has
made your development experience.  Speak to your friends, developers, coworkers,
JUGs, IT managers.  Cross over to the business cubicles and fill their ears with
this cool technology that will revolutionize the internet.  Heckle the mailman.

Remember - talk is NOT cheap.  The big players pay A LOT to create buzz, promote
chatter, do marketing and advertising campaigns, etc.  In order for Tapestry to
gain momentum we can't just provide a technical solution alone.  No matter
where in the world you may be, some of the known things you can do for
promotion:

Blog
Make comments on articles and blogs
Write articles
Write white papers
Write how tos, tutorials
Make JUG presentations
Be on a panel discussion
Do proof of concepts in your department

If you are using it in a production environment, convince your employer you want
to do a case study on how you've used Tapestry - and that you're not giving away
any trade secrets and it will get them some props amongst the technorati.  ;)

Qs:  What would be some of the better publications or places online to have
articles?  What pubs do you read?  What pubs do IT managers read?  What kinds
of articles do you respond to?  What got you into Tapestry?  Suggestions?

Howard and the committer team and all of the other projects around Tapestry are
doing a phenomenal job - more people just need to hear about it.  Let's make
this a banner year for Tapestry.

Looking forward to seeing folk at JavaOne.

Steve Motola
smotola@thelabllc.com
(310) 422-5521

The Lab, LLC