Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by James Tauber <jt...@jtauber.com> on 1999/11/30 04:59:30 UTC

FOP MessageHandler

I'm just about to move FOP over to using a MessageHandler.

There seems to be agreement on the design. I'm having trouble with the
naming :-)

As I see it, there should be an interface MessageHandler than all message
handlers implement. We will also have a default message handler called
something like:

    DefaultMessageHandler
    MessageHandlerImpl
    CommandLineMessageHandler

I actually prefer the last one because it really will just be the message
handler for command line operation of FOP. The AWT viewer will use a
different message handler, so "CommandLineMessageHandler" makes the
distinction clearer.

Now there is the class that simply has two static methods: getMessageHandler
and setMessageHandler. My question is: WHAT SHOULD THIS CLASS BE CALLED?

I initially thought MessageHandlerFactory, but it isn't. It doesn't create
message handlers, it merely provides a globally accessible point to retrieve
the message handler to use.

Ideas?

James