Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com> on 2004/02/01 13:00:49 UTC

Re: Lenya's Weblog Publication: Page Not Published ?

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 19:59, Rudi Strasser wrote:
> I posted a message last week about that issue (please read earlier messages)
>
> The original post was:
> >I discovered to that 'blog' works if I use xalan-2.5.0 instead of
> xalan-2.5.1.
> >The 'page not published ...' message is gone and everything seems to work
> >fine with the blog application.
>
> >xalan-2.5.1 comes with cocoon-2.1.2, xalan-2.5.0 is in the Lenya CVS
> >repository.
>
> I actually really wonder why nobody of the developers is worried about that,
> many newcomers have the same problems and even if people report these
> problems as well as ways to fix them the developers seem to ignore it.

Nah, it not that they/we "ignore" the bugs.

Please do not forget:

- The Lenya community is still growing or being established.
- (That is why) Lenya is a project under incubation.
- (Most) Open source developers are *spending* their freetime to
programm. They do not get money(not often, or not direct).

User and developer support is very appreciated.

> Apparently the Lenya developers are working with a different set of 'jar'
> librararies than the ones included in the CVS. Otherwise I have a hard time
> to imagine how all this can happen. So far, all the bugs and issues I
> reported poped up for other users as well. In the beginning I thought it is
> only me who faces these bugs.

Currently there are *some* weird issues with jars especially with the
xalan stuff and it is hard to hunt them down.

> That is strange, very inefficient, and discouraging.

Of course I can understand you. And it is good that you say what you
think.

> I read in the mailing list that only 2 bugs are left until Lenya 1.2 will be
> released.

Maybe, but I *know* their are more than two bugs.

> Does that mean that all these known problems will be released along
> with 1.2 ?

Hopefully not. I plan to use the next Lenya release (1.2) as a basis for
at least two real life projects.

> I doubt that Lenya will be too well received by people who check
> it out and figure that the run into tons of problems. So they will turn away
> and look for alternatives. Few of them will ever return to give it a second
> try.

That is the naked truth.

> Apparently, developers do not consider the sample publications to be part of
> the distributions.

Do they? I hope not. Especially the default pub is VERY IMPORTANT, imho.

> In my opinion, their proper function is at least as
> important as the proper function of the Lenya core is.

+1

> However, at this
> moment I never know if something is simply not implemented, or a bug, etc.

This is per definition the case when using software version under
development from cvs.

Rolf Kulemann

Always remember:
	"There is inherently no silver bullet." - F.Brooks

PGP/GPG public key:
	http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6B4EA7EA