Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Berry <ka...@freefriends.org> on 2005/02/02 13:55:41 UTC

svn com?

For the sake of being compatible with cvs except when there's a good
reason, how about making svn com an abbreviation for commit?  Obviously
no big deal, but my fingers miss it.

Thanks,
karl

Re: svn com?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@collab.net> writes:
> I'd really rather that we didn't.  We've already got 'ci', which is
> pretty short (I know it's not 'com', and I really do sympathize with
> Karl Berry's plight), but I fear that this will open the floodgates for
> incrementally including the gazillion other CVS shortcuts available.
> Here's the list of CVS commands that have one or more "aliases", and I
> really don't want to approach this level of insanity.
>
> CVS commands and their aliases:
>
> [...]

Wow.  Thanks for doing the homework.

Yes, seeing that list, I think I agree with you, and beg Karl Berry's
forgiveness.

Re: svn com?

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 13:43, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
>> karl@freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:
>>> For the sake of being compatible with cvs except when there's a good
>>> reason, how about making svn com an abbreviation for commit?  Obviously
>>> no big deal, but my fingers miss it.
>>
>> Developers: I'm tempted to just do it.  It seems doubtful we'd ever
>> allocate 'com' to something *else*, given that it already means commit
>> in CVS.
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> I'd really rather that we didn't.  We've already got 'ci', which is
> pretty short (I know it's not 'com', and I really do sympathize with
> Karl Berry's plight), but I fear that this will open the floodgates for
> incrementally including the gazillion other CVS shortcuts available.
> Here's the list of CVS commands that have one or more "aliases", and I
> really don't want to approach this level of insanity.
>
> CVS commands and their aliases:
>
> "add",      "ad",       "new"
> "admin",    "adm",      "rcs"
> "annotate", "ann"
> "checkout", "co",       "get"
> "commit",   "ci",       "com"
> "diff",     "di",       "dif"
> "export",   "exp",      "ex"
> "history",  "hi",       "his"
> "import",   "im",       "imp"
> "log",      "lo"
> "login",    "logon",    "lgn"
> "rannotate","rann",     "ra"
> "rdiff",    "patch",    "pa"
> "release",  "re",       "rel"
> "remove",   "rm",       "delete"
> "rlog",     "rl"
> "rtag",     "rt",       "rfreeze"
> "status",   "st",       "stat"
> "tag",      "ta",       "freeze"
> "update",   "up",       "upd"
> "version",  "ve",       "ver"
>
> -Fitz

Yuck! I didn't realize CVS was quite so ridiculously over-aliased!

Perhaps Karl Berry would be interested in the programmable bash completion?
(Assuming, of course, he uses bash).

Max.

Re: svn com?

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@collab.net>.