Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Nicolae Marasoiu <ni...@adswizz.com> on 2015/10/08 16:49:02 UTC

alter column family - possible operational impacts on big tables

Hi,

If we run at night an alter column family, set ttl, my understanding is that it will disable the table, make the alter, and re-enable the table, which can be some time for large tables with 30+ regions (hbase version 0.94 [☹]  ).

Do you have any advice about this? How long can it take per region? What is the operational hit at the time of the alter command being issued, and what when compaction runs on the table? I imagine that compaction is not too affected by this, just by filtering out more records when re-writing the new HFiles, is this correct?

Thanks,

Nicu

Re: alter column family - possible operational impacts on big tables

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
5000 regions in 10RS it's 500 regions per RS just for this table... If are
above the recommended limit. How big are your regions? I mean, MAXFILESIZE?

JM

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Anil w.r.t. upgrade.

Nicolae:
If you can afford a few hours for the table to be offline, it seems
upgrading to 1.x first would be more beneficial.

Posted by Anil Gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi Nicu,