Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Андрей Парамонов <pa...@acdlabs.ru> on 2013/11/21 13:21:05 UTC

svn log: --search and --limit interaction

Hello!

I've noticed that Subversion 1.8 introduces very useful --search
parameter. However, currently (version 1.8.4-SlikSvn-1.8.4-X64) --search
is applied after --limit, sometimes effectively returning less entries
than specified by --limit, even if more entries are available.

I believe it's a bug. Your opinions?

Best wishes,
Andrey Paramonov

believed to be clean.

Re: svn log: --search and --limit interaction

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 04:21:05PM +0400, Андрей Парамонов wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've noticed that Subversion 1.8 introduces very useful --search parameter.
> However, currently (version 1.8.4-SlikSvn-1.8.4-X64) --search is applied
> after --limit, sometimes effectively returning less entries than specified
> by --limit, even if more entries are available.
>
> I believe it's a bug. Your opinions?

Hello Андрей,

This is because there is no server-side support for --search yet.

--search filtering is done within the client. However, --limit does
have server-side support, so the server sends log entries only up to
the specified limit. The client can apply its --search filter only to
entries sent by the server.

Protocol and server-side changes would need to be made to improve
this situation. This is possible, but so far, nobody has done the
necessary work. As usual, we welcome patches.