Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2009/07/29 20:32:20 UTC

Incubator maven artifacts on maven central

Infrastructure has been getting requests from incubating projects
to put their wares on maven central via the Nexus installation on
repository.apache.org.  I have been quietly objecting to these actions
to no avail based on the grounds that the Incubator PMC Chair is
unaware of any policy changes in this regard, so I would like
clarification before continuing to honor any further requests.

Some people claim there was a vote held in October which settled the
matter, but as far as I can tell the results were a long way from
establishing consensus amongst the IPMC. So what's the story, has
the policy changed or hasn't it?  I'm looking for a definitive
answer to a straightforward question, not lots of opinions of how
things aught to be.

Thanks.  Please cc me on replies as I'm not a subscriber.

Re: Incubator maven artifacts on maven central

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Joe Schaefer<jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Some people claim there was a vote held in October which settled the
> matter, but as far as I can tell the results were a long way from
> establishing consensus amongst the IPMC. So what's the story, has
> the policy changed or hasn't it?  I'm looking for a definitive
> answer to a straightforward question, not lots of opinions of how
> things aught to be.

Incubation Policy [1] now says: "[...] the Podling MAY choose to
distribute approved releases through other channels like the central
Maven repository."

The policy change was made in revision 704280 [2] (see also
INCUBATOR-82 [3]) based on the result of a vote on this mailing list
[4].

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html
[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=704280
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-82