Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by John Menchen <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/31 03:57:16 UTC

compatible OS for OpenOffice

I love Apache OpenOffice, but I hate Windows and just can't get used to Mac
OS XIII (or whatever number they're up to now).  I want to use Chrome as my
OS, but I wouldn't want to lose the use of OpenOffice--it's free, after
all.
I can't find any guidance in the forums, which were called up in Explorer
for some godforsaken reason (I still keep it for those websites that aren't
ready for Chrome), so I had to send this email message.
Asking for a kind soul to advise someone who used to be good at this, but
it all got away from him.

Re: compatible OS for OpenOffice

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 22:57:16 -0400
John Menchen <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I love Apache OpenOffice, but I hate Windows and just can't get used to Mac
> OS XIII (or whatever number they're up to now).  I want to use Chrome as my
> OS, but I wouldn't want to lose the use of OpenOffice--it's free, after
> all.
> I can't find any guidance in the forums, which were called up in Explorer
> for some godforsaken reason (I still keep it for those websites that aren't
> ready for Chrome), so I had to send this email message.
> Asking for a kind soul to advise someone who used to be good at this, but
> it all got away from him.

I have used linux for the past few years on most of my and family computers. Specifically, I use Xubuntu, which gives a simple interface.  The main difference between linux distributions is the default desktop and default program selection installed. One can make a "Live DVD" or USB stick (usually better) from most linux distros to try out which will run on any computer without interfering with the existing setup.

It is possible to instal linux in place of Chrome (I haven't done this, but will if a chrome machine comes my way).

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: compatible OS for OpenOffice

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/31/14, upscope <up...@nwi.net> wrote:
> Response in line, below.
>
> On Friday, October 31, 2014 02:08:43 AM Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>> There are sites which let you use OpenOffice withing a browser[1].
>> There is also projects that let you install Linux (proper) in a
>> chromebook and use them parallel to it.
>>
>> I own a chromebook and download and installed
>> https://github.com/drinkcat/chroagh
>>
>> There are also other distros like Ubuntu[2] and Suse[3].
>>
>> [1] https://www.rollapp.com/
>> [2] https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton
>> [3] NA
> Response for #3 above:
> You can get the latest version of openSUSE from:
>
> [Code]
> http://www.opensuse.org/en/
> [/Code]
>
> openSUSE 13.2 is scheduled for release on Tuesday (Nov 4).
> I've been running LibreOffice on it for several months. It works.
> ApacheOffice should also run on it. I know it does on the current 13.1.
> Also you also run the Chrome Browser or its Linux form, Chromium. I use
> Chromium for a lot website, no problems so far. This is sent from my
> production side when I use LibreOffice exclusively.
>
> I have not heard if either runs under the Chrome book OS.

The link was for the chromebook script to load opensuse, I know there
is one, but I couldnt find it on google. Is a related project of the
chroagh. There is another one for fedora, all resides on github, but I
cant really seem to find them at the moment. I didnt dedicate much
time either, if people really want to get them, I could spend more
time looking for them. But I think I respond the question here.

The biggest problem however when dealing with Chromebooks is that the
first generations were ARM while the latters were Intel x86_64. So
there should be some pre-selection on which model of the chromebook
you have. I currently own a chromebook HP 14 (intel) and run Arch
linux using the chroagh.

This is not the Distro link, since is not meant to be installed as
dual boot system but as a chroot distro which lives paralllel to the
chromeos and can be started and switch with a keystroke (alt-fn-F3)
while ChromeOS lives on (alt-fn-F1).

>> On 10/30/14, John Menchen <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I love Apache OpenOffice, but I hate Windows and just can't get used
>> > to Mac OS XIII (or whatever number they're up to now).  I want to
>> > use Chrome as my OS, but I wouldn't want to lose the use of
>> > OpenOffice--it's free, after all.
>> > I can't find any guidance in the forums, which were called up in
>> > Explorer for some godforsaken reason (I still keep it for those
>> > websites that aren't ready for Chrome), so I had to send this email
>> > message.
>> > Asking for a kind soul to advise someone who used to be good at
>> > this, but it all got away from him.
>
> Russ
> --
> openSUSE 13.1(Linux 3.11.10-21-desktop x86_64|
> Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz|8GB DDR3|
> GeForce 8400GS (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.46)|KDE 4.14.2

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: compatible OS for OpenOffice

Posted by upscope <up...@nwi.net>.
Response in line, below.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
On 10/30/2014 10:57 PM, John Menchen wrote:
> I love Apache OpenOffice, but I hate Windows and just can't get used to Mac
> OS XIII (or whatever number they're up to now).

It works well with Linux.  You can install it on the same computer as
you run Windows and even have dual boot.