Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Bart Schaefer <ba...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/16 23:11:53 UTC

AWL interaction with Bayes, and sa-learn

First, tell me if there's anything wrong with this summary:

1. A message arrives and is passed to spamassassin and/or spamc+spamd.
2. The score for that message is computed.
3. The AWL score for that sender is updated.
4. The message was mis-classified, so after delivery the user feeds
the message to sa-learn.
5. The Bayes score for (the tokens in) that message is updated, *but
the AWL score for the sender remains unchanged.*
6. A similar message from the same sender arrives.  The net score is
moved away from the Bayes-influenced value by the (obsolete, or at
least incorrectly recorded) AWL value.

Assuming I've got that right, tell me whether there's aaanything wrong
with this conclusion:

The AWL will wrongly influence the score for both spam and non-spam as
long as the AWL remains unaffected at step 5, in any case where the
initial classification was incorrect.

Finally the question:

Shouldn't sa-learn "retrain" the AWL as well?  At the least, throw out
the entry for that sender and begin recomputing it with the next
message?