Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Brian Relph <re...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/20 17:49:46 UTC

validation errors

Can I reference action errors / messages in a similar way to field errors?
I have a custom validator for a date field that is split into month/day/year
fields, but i want the errors for it to appear next to inputs.  Here are my
validators:

<field name="ssn">
  <field-validator type="requiredstring">
    <message key="validator.required" />
  </field-validator>
  <field-validator type="regex">
    <param name="expression">^\d{4}$</param>
    <message key="validator.format" />
  </field-validator>
</field>

<validator type="splitdatevalidator">
  <message key="validator.date.format" />
</validator>

which i reference in my jsp like so:

<s:fielderror theme="healthe">
  <s:param>ssn</s:param>
</s:fielderror>

how would i reference the "splitdatevalidator" in my jsp?

Re: validation errors

Posted by Brian Relph <re...@gmail.com>.
I realized that since this was a custom validator, I can add the error
message to the fieldErrors with whatever key i choose - so i can now
reference that error message.  What about for other validators, like the
expression validator, is there a way to specify a key for it?  I think the
expression validator by default adds to the actionErrors, is there another
way besides re-writing it and specifying to add to the fieldErrors instead?