Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mathias Hasselmann <ma...@taschenorakel.de> on 2005/06/09 22:48:30 UTC

mod_dav_svn: view older revisions with browser

Hi,

The Subversion Book claims it would not be possible to use a browser to
view older revisions with mod_dav_svn (Look for "Can I view older
revisions?"). Well, but somehow that is not true, as I always can use
"/svn/repos/!svn/ver/${rev}/${path}" as resource locator to access some
old revision. At least if my resource is some file. If you try to access
some directory this URI gives you some error.

As the output of mod_dav_svn can be beautified via SVNIndexXSLT, it
appears quite useful to me, making older revisions available via browser
and mod_dav_svn. So the question is how to archive this:

- Document the internal "!svn/ver" syntax, fix the directory issue and
make this the official method for accessing old revisions via pure
mod_dav_svn and browser?
- Put the requested revision into the query-string (made some hackish
tests and this method also appears to work).
- Don't allow this feature as it is not specified by the WebDAV/DeltaV
specification.

If I'd do the dirty stuff, would there be any chance to get "viewing
older revisions with pure mod_dav_svn and browser" into the official
source tree? Or would I have to fork mod_dav_svn for this purpose?

Ciao,
Mathias

--
Mathias Hasselmann <ma...@taschenorakel.de>
http://taschenorakel.de/

Re: mod_dav_svn: view older revisions with browser

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Friday 10 June 2005 15:36, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 10.06.2005, 04:13 -0400 schrieb John Szakmeister:
> > On Thursday 09 June 2005 18:48, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The Subversion Book claims it would not be possible to use a
> > > browser to view older revisions with mod_dav_svn (Look for "Can I
> > > view older revisions?"). Well, but somehow that is not true, as I
> > > always can use "/svn/repos/!svn/ver/${rev}/${path}" as resource
> > > locator to access some old revision. At least if my resource is
> > > some file. If you try to access some directory this URI gives you
> > > some error.
> >
> > The URLs are considered to be opaque, and therefore, you should not
> > rely on them.  They may change in the future and we make no promise
> > to keep the same format.
>
> Well, detected the !svn/bc namespace right now and I does exactly what
> I want: It gives me access to old revisions via browser. Wow! So I'd
> really suggest to rethink this policy at least for the !svn/bc
> namespace: mod_dav_svn has the capability to deliver old revisions to
> browsers, so why not announce this feature. Don't see the point in
> disavowing existing, useful features.

I didn't say it wasn't possible to determine what those URLs are.  What I
said is that we're supposed to treat them as being opaque.  IIRC, this is
a recommendation from the WebDAV specification... but I'm definitely no
authority on that.  The point is that weren't not disavowing a useful
feature.  We're protecting ourselves for the future changes.  Again,
mod_dav_svn is for implementing WebDAV/DeltaV access to the repository.
It was never meant to be a generic repository viewer.

> > Sorry, this has been discussed before, but the vast majority of the
> > developers are in consensus... mod_dav_svn's current "browsing"
> > capabilities are as far as it goes.  If you want additional browsing
> > features, use one of the many great viewers out there already
> > (WebSVN, FlexySVN, ViewCVS, etc).  The 3 I listed are really pretty
> > good, and easy to setup.
>
> Been there and didn't like what I saw. Guess why know about
> SVNIndexXSLT?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.  I'm sorry you didn't like anything
you saw.  Perhaps you can contribute to one of them, and help move it in
a direction that interests you.

-John

Re: mod_dav_svn: view older revisions with browser

Posted by Mathias Hasselmann <ma...@taschenorakel.de>.

Posted by Russ Brown <pi...@gmail.com>.
Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Friday, June 10, 2005 6:59 PM +0100 Russ Brown
> <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > http://www.edgewall.com/trac/
> >
> > Good source browser and fantastic changeset viewer, in addition to a
> > timeline view and integrated wiki and issue tracker.
>

> Now if it just added dependencies and milestones. I'm used to Bugzilla
> and am using Trac with a new project and those are two things from
> Bugzilla that were glaringly missing from Trac. I need some way to
> express which issues are blocking a given release.

Hmmm, it does have milestones, as shown on the really nice roadmap view,
which shows you what they're planning for upcoming releases and allows
you to drill-down to the individual tickets that make up those releases:

http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/roadmap

As for dependencies, that is something we'd like too. I believe the next
version is going to include pluggable modules, which will pave the way
to many user-mods, and that's likely to be one of them.

As for email notification, it does do it to an extent. But it definitely
needs improving.

(BTW: I'm not involved with the trac as a project. I'm just well
impressed with it and use it at work and home.)

--

Russ.

Re: mod_dav_svn: view older revisions with browser

Posted by Mathias Hasselmann <ma...@taschenorakel.de>.
Am Freitag, den 10.06.2005, 11:11 -0700 schrieb Kenneth Porter:
> --On Friday, June 10, 2005 6:59 PM +0100 Russ Brown <pi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > http://www.edgewall.com/trac/
> >
> > Good source browser and fantastic changeset viewer, in addition to a
> > timeline view and integrated wiki and issue tracker.
>
> Now if it just added dependencies and milestones. I'm used to Bugzilla and
> am using Trac with a new project and those are two things from Bugzilla
> that were glaringly missing from Trac. I need some way to express which
> issues are blocking a given release.

Yup, Trac looks like a really nice. Hmm, but what does the TODO list
say? No Email notifications yet? Putting it on my watch-list.

Ciao,
Mathias

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by Russ Brown <pi...@gmail.com>.
John Szakmeister wrote:
> Sorry, this has been discussed before, but the vast majority of the
> developers are in consensus... mod_dav_svn's current "browsing"
> capabilities are as far as it goes.  If you want additional browsing
> features, use one of the many great viewers out there already (WebSVN,
> FlexySVN, ViewCVS, etc).  The 3 I listed are really pretty good, and easy
> to setup.
>
> -John

I'd just like to add trac to this list:

http://www.edgewall.com/trac/

Good source browser and fantastic changeset viewer, in addition to a
timeline view and integrated wiki and issue tracker.

A truly excellent bit of work.

--

Russ.

Re: mod_dav_svn: view older revisions with browser

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.