Posted to users@flex.apache.org by DarrenEvans <da...@allocatesoftware.com> on 2014/08/22 12:39:32 UTC

Enable Advanced Telemetry

Hiya,

We have a memory leak in our application and I'm trying to get Adobe Scout
working against it so I can start analysing what is happening with the
memory.

We are stuck on Flex SDK 4.6 and using IntelliJ to compile with, so
compiling with -advanced-telemetry=true is not an option (as far as I'm
aware). I had this working a couple of years ago (I think) and was using the
great little AIR app to set the required flag in the resulting SWF, found
at:
http://renaun.com/blog/2012/12/enable-advanced-telemetry-on-flex-or-old-swfs-with-swf-scount-enabler/

However, Scout seems to have moved on. There seems to be a requirement for
FlashPlayer 11.7 (was previously working with 11.4). I've upped that and got
rid of the first error message Scout was complaining about.

But....Even after running our SWF through the little AIR app, Scout is still
complaining with the message:
"To use this panel: Compile your application with the -advanced-telemetry
option."

Here is a screenshot showing the Scout message:
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/drevans112/Allocate/ScoutCompileWithAdvancedTelemetry.png

Here is a screenshot showing the SWF being successfully modified:
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/drevans112/Allocate/ScoutSWFEnablerSuccess.png

Any thoughts on why this no longer works and what can be done to resolve it?

Re: Enable Advanced Telemetry

Posted by DarrenEvans <da...@allocatesoftware.com>.
Ahem....schoolboy error!

I was assuming the default "timeline" showing across the top (in my
screenshot) was the one I interact with to get further information....

Shows how long I've not used this.... I needed to <cough> "turn on" Frame
Timeline..

So got a bunch of information coming through now....Trying to sort the wheat
from the chaff here and cannot for the life of me see what's not being
deallocated. Just seems to be a big list of allocations and how much they
used and you can't seem to see if it's been garbage collected or not.

DarrenEvans wrote

Posted by DarrenEvans <da...@allocatesoftware.com>.
Ahh didn't realise it was a standard thing packaged with the SDK.

SWFDump confirms the advanced telemetry flag is set to true.

A slight bit of progress.....I think IE was caching the SWF file and using
that (which didn't have the telemetry on). I've purged all versions from the
cache and now Scout is showing "Advanced Telemetry : Enabled" in the session
info Telemetry section.

However, clicking on all the session options ("ActionScript Sampler" etc.) I
am not getting any output in the sections at the bottom of Scout. I can see
the timeline along the top doing stuff but no actual useful debug
information (as per screenshot):
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/drevans112/Allocate/ScoutTimelineActivityNoOutput.png

What am I missing now?

jmclean wrote

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I'm thinking this is not the SWFDump you are referring to? Where can I get
> it from?

In the bin directory of Apache Flex binary release or a from a compiles Apache Flex source release.

Just go here:
http://flex.apache.org/download-binaries.html

Or download directly:
windows: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/flex/4.13.0/binaries/apache-flex-sdk-4.13.0-bin.zip
OSX: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/flex/4.13.0/binaries/apache-flex-sdk-4.13.0-bin.tar.gz

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Enable Advanced Telemetry

Posted by DarrenEvans <da...@allocatesoftware.com>.
I better go back to basics here as my output from SWFDump doesn't look like
that.

I downloaded from: http://www.swftools.org/

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mihai Chira <mi...@gmail.com>.
FYI we're using iLog Elixir as well (in fact, their latest service
release was a result of our recent bug reports), currently with SDK
4.12.1, but we upgraded the SDK with almost every new release, and
iLog continued working well.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by DarrenEvans <da...@allocatesoftware.com>.
OmPrakash Muppirala wrote

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by DarrenEvans <da...@allocatesoftware.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Interesting....did a diff and they are exactly the same? Does SWFDump
> definitely output an additional SWF flag showing the telemetry status?

Yep  as long as you using Apache Flex 4.10 or later. <EnableTelemetry advancedTelemetry='true'/> should appear after the FileAttributes  tag and before the Metadata tag right at the top of the file.

For example:
<swf xmlns='http://macromedia/2003/swfx' version='25' framerate='24' size='10000x7500' compressed='true' >
  <!-- framecount=2 length=642585 -->
  <FileAttributes useDirectBlit='false' useGPU='false' hasMetadata='true' actionScript3='true' suppressCrossDomainCaching='false' swfRelativeUrls='false' useNetwork='true'/>
  <EnableTelemetry advancedTelemetry='true'/>

Justin

PS And I know as I made that change to swfdump :-)

Re: Enable Advanced Telemetry

Posted by DarrenEvans <da...@allocatesoftware.com>.
Interesting....did a diff and they are exactly the same? Does SWFDump
definitely output an additional SWF flag showing the telemetry status?

Going to download Python and try and run the modification script by hand
this morning to see if that makes any difference.

Anything else I can try?

Alex Harui wrote

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by DarrenEvans <da...@allocatesoftware.com>.