Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Charles Heizer <he...@llnl.gov> on 2003/11/19 00:14:34 UTC

[users@httpd] Load Balancing and SSL

Hello,
I'm looking for a little clarification.

I want some more info on how to setup SSL on multiple Virtual Hosts on
two systems.

I have two Apache 2.0.48 systems setup and running, I also have a Big5
load balancer in the equation. This all works fine without ssl (since I
have not tried the ssl yet).

I have a round robin with the load balancer that passes traffic off to
www1.vhost1.com or www2.vhost1.com from www.vhost1.com.

Now here is my question, if I want to enable SSL on www.vhost1.com do I
need to get a cert for www1.vhost1.com and www2.vhost1.com?

I hope this make sense.

Thanks,

- Charles

[users@httpd] R: [users@httpd] Load Balancing and SSL

Posted by Fabrizio <ap...@famany.it>.
Hi! I don't know BigIp5 but i know Alteon load balancer. So i can tell you that you haven't problem for create a virtaul host balanced with SSL. With alteon you must create another service with the port 443.

The important is that you create the virtual host in your httpd.conf with an ip but include the directive called

ServerName www.domain.com

for both servers.

After this you must buy or create with openssl the certificate for the server that match the name www.domain.com and the private key. Add both with the right directive into the both virtual host of the both servers and all can work!

Good luck!