Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by cm...@collab.net on 2003/08/21 15:37:45 UTC

Notice to all repository owners.

Just to remind folks, revision 6752 of Subversion included, among
other things, a change to the repository backend database schema which
is incompatible with previous Subversion code.  You will need to use
svnadmin to dump your existing repositories with pre-6752 code, and
then create and load new repositories with revision 6814 or better.

Now why did I say 6814 instead of 6752?  Well, because silly me forgot
to bump the repository version number when I changed the database
schema, and was only reminded just this morning.  So, if you
create/load with 6814 or better, you're all good.

If, however, you've already created/loaded with a revision between
6752 and 6814, it's okay -- you don't need to dump and load again.
But you will need to change the "1" that's currently in your
repository's "format" file to a "2".  On Unix, this is as simple as:

   echo "2" > /path/to/repos/format

Sorry for the inconvenience.  :-(

Re: Notice to all repository owners.

Posted by "Jamin W. Collins" <jc...@asgardsrealm.net>.
On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 06:03:47PM +0200, Stefan Wessely wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've a stupid question (please don't hit me ;-) )...
> We are running Subversion 0.26 - which revision is it?
> (all our format files contain "1")

"svn --version" should give you the version numbers (Subversion project
revision numbers IIRC) that were being referenced, 6550 for 0.26.0 here.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Re: Notice to all repository owners.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Stefan Wessely <de...@tigris.org> writes:
> I've a stupid question (please don't hit me ;-) )...
> We are running Subversion 0.26 - which revision is it?
> (all our format files contain "1")

"1" is correct.

Re: Notice to all repository owners.

Posted by Stefan Wessely <de...@tigris.org>.
Hi!

I've a stupid question (please don't hit me ;-) )...
We are running Subversion 0.26 - which revision is it?
(all our format files contain "1")

Thanx,
Stefan

Re: Notice to all repository owners.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:

> Marc Haisenko <ha...@webport.de> writes:
>
> > On Thursday 21 August 2003 17:37, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> > > Just to remind folks, revision 6752 of Subversion included, among
> > > other things, a change to the repository backend database schema which
> > > is incompatible with previous Subversion code.  You will need to use
> > > svnadmin to dump your existing repositories with pre-6752 code, and
> > > then create and load new repositories with revision 6814 or better.
> > >
> > > Sorry for the inconvenience.  :-(
> >
> > Just curious: how did it change and why was the change made ?
>
> "Node revisions now store the path at which they were created", and
> "Efficiency/correctness."

Some tangible results of this:

  * 'svn log branch/foo.c' now shows the branch-creation as a real
    event in foo.c's history, even though foo.c itself was only
    *implicitly* copied when its parent got copied.

  * 'svn log -rX:Y' is doing less work.

  * Fixes bugs in 'svn log --strict'.

  * We have a new fs API for walking the history of a node using a
    cursor-like interface.

  * Internally, the mechanism for choosing copyids was broken.  (OK,
    that's not tangible, but a matter of correctness.)

Re: Notice to all repository owners.

Posted by cm...@collab.net.

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@webport.de>.
On Thursday 21 August 2003 17:37, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> Just to remind folks, revision 6752 of Subversion included, among
> other things, a change to the repository backend database schema which
> is incompatible with previous Subversion code.  You will need to use
> svnadmin to dump your existing repositories with pre-6752 code, and
> then create and load new repositories with revision 6814 or better.
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience.  :-(

Just curious: how did it change and why was the change made ?

--
Marc Haisenko
Systemspezialist
Webport IT-Services GmbH