Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ed elliott <ed...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2005/05/11 17:48:56 UTC

[users@httpd] adding virtual hosts without restarting ??

Hi,

If I add a virtual host to apache, is there any way that I can get it to work without restarting apache?

What do ISP's do when they create a new domain - surely they dont restart apache and cause all the other domains to stop working (for a little while) ??

thanks,

ed

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] adding virtual hosts without restarting ??

Posted by Noah <si...@onastick.net>.
On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 04:48:56PM +0100, ed elliott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I add a virtual host to apache, is there any way that I can get it to work without restarting apache?
>
> What do ISP's do when they create a new domain - surely they dont restart apache and cause all the other domains to stop working (for a little while) ??

Another option is to use mod_vhost_alias
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_vhost_alias.html); still another option
is described in the 'Mass Virtual Hosting' section of
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html.

--n
--
When the need arises -- and it does -- you must be able to shoot your own
dog. Don't farm it out -- that doesn't make it nicer, it makes it worse.