Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com> on 2023/06/20 19:14:09 UTC

New pip process reminder

Hi,

This is just a reminder that PMC/Committers can only merge the PIP PR when
the vote thread is concluded and in a positive manner, as described (" a lazy
majority of at least 3 binding +1s votes")

So please, before clicking that merge button, double-check those two
conditions

Thanks!

Asaf

Re: New pip process reminder

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
Looking into the discussion and reviewing our membership list, from module
experts' distribution perspective, I agree that specific modules can have
fewer PMC members overseeing.

According to my experience in the Flink community[1] and the natural that
improvement proposals are mainly about development, I suggest we regard
committers (PMC members are committers) vote as binding vote for a PIP.

In this way, we can trade off the more eye target with frequent development.

Best,
tison.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Bylaws#FlinkBylaws-Actions

tison <wa...@gmail.com> 于2023年6月21日周三 18:41写道:

Re: New pip process reminder

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
> mostly part of one enterprise and only their PIP/PRs are moving forward

No. PIPs are processed in a vendor natural bias. At least the difference
between lazy consensus and at least 3 +1 binding votes won't change it.

> help other community members to let them contribute to Pulsar so

I'm doing so and you can do so. As you may know I help with nudging some of
your PRs and send an email about promoting client contribution to the PMC
list in the last day. It's a separate topic that community members can
contribute to. Someone spends time to try to formalize the PIP process and
make these proposals clear and workable. It won't block "help other
community members". If you ask a person _not_ to do A, it doesn't mean they
_will_ do B.

> there are many examples where PRs are sitting unreviewed for a long time

At the end of the last year, there are over 400 open PRs. And now it's
about 250+. I'm actively handling them and with several discussions with
other committers I know it's not easy to _ask_ people to spend time
reviewing others' patches. But following a tit-for-tat strategy I'm now
happy to cooperate with Jiwei, Yunzu, Lari, Michael, Zixuan, and so on.
There should not be a blocker; if so, you can discuss it on the private@
mailing list - that's a certain issue we should handle for a better
community.

> indirectly making it difficult for many Pulsar committers and contributors

From my observation, Asaf is actively reviewing almost all PIPs following

Re: New pip process reminder

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.

Re: New pip process reminder