Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Caleb Cushing <xe...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/03 22:12:16 UTC

foreign spam slipping through

the attached email is one of the mails that keeps slipping through.

I have no idea what it says, or why it continues to slip through my filter
(well why it has a lower score than what's required).

kmail runs spamassassin -L with filters to check for spam

I've also told kmail mails from these people are spam before it uses this.
sa-learn -L --spam --no-sync

and I periodically run this from the cli.
sa-learn --showdots --spam .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/spam/cur/*

these are the relevant settings in ~/.spamassassin user_prefs

required_score          4
ok_languages en

I can't understand why with it not being in english and these settings that it
still slips through.
--
Caleb Cushing

my blog http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com

Re: foreign spam slipping through

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> I'll have to check and see why kmail has that as the default. enabling
> RBL's
> doesn't have to query them everytime does it? meaning does it cache them.

No, SA doesn't cache them, and does test them every time.  Running a caching
DNS server somewhere near the SA machine (possibly on the same machine) is a
good idea.  It depends on your mail load.  If this is a personal-use machine
the cache probably isn't needed.

        Loren

Re: foreign spam slipping through

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 21:38 -0400, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> On Thursday 03 April 2008 07:44:04 pm Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> > Yes, you have -- by calling spamassassin with he -L switch. See my
>
> I'll have to check and see why kmail has that as the default. enabling RBL's
> doesn't have to query them everytime does it? meaning does it cache them.

KMail probably does this by default, because it speeds up the checks. SA
isn't suited best for client side after-download calling by filters.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the added delay of querying RBLs for each
message. You are calling *spamassassin* in your filter, so the real
penalty is the startup time and CPU load here -- for each single
message. Using the lightweight spamc client with spamd daemon instead
will decrease the load and scanning time significantly.

After all, the RBL tests pretty much add a few seconds of idle waiting
only, no CPU load.

  guenther

Re: foreign spam slipping through

Posted by Caleb Cushing <xe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 18:33 -0400, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> On Thursday 03 April 2008 06:16:51 pm D Hill wrote:

> >    ok_locales en
> will add

Which doesn't help in this case. ok_locales is about the charsets [1],
and your spample does indeed use a Western character set (aka "en" in
ok_locales terms).

[1] http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#language_options

Re: foreign spam slipping through

Posted by Caleb Cushing <xe...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday 03 April 2008 06:16:51 pm D Hill wrote:
> I also have:
>
>    ok_locales en
will add

> In your headers, I didn't see UNWANTED_LANGUAGE_BODY. Do you have the
> TextCat plugin enabled/loaded? In my install, it is found in:
>
>    /etc/mail/spamassassin/v310.pre
>
> This is actually the default config file where it is loaded.
I'm enabling it.

> Also, do you have RBL checks enabled? By default, this is enabled unless
> you have set 'skip_rbl_checks'.

I haven't disabled them.

I should note that I've been using spamassassin on suse (only recently started
using it for my personal mail) and just started using it on gentoo, and I've
found some things missing. so if additional perl files might be needed it
would be good to know that. (because I realized after I sent my first mail I
actually didn't have bayes working on gentoo, (it was on suse) this has been
remedied.

Posted by D Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 at 17:00 -0400, xenoterracide@gmail.com confabulated:

> On Thursday 03 April 2008 04:32:40 pm you wrote:
>> Most of those are getting caught here. Here is what your message scored:
>
> any way to increase the score that language receives?

I have the same:

   ok_languages en

I also have:

   ok_locales en

Posted by D Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 at 16:12 -0400, xenoterracide@gmail.com confabulated:

Unsubscribe (was: foreign spam slipping through)

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 13:51 03-04-2008, Matt wrote:
>How do I unsubscribe from here?  There are no unsubscribe links at
>the bottom of these messages.

The links are in the message headers.

list-help: <ma...@spamassassin.apache.org>

-sm

Re: foreign spam slipping through

Posted by D Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 at 16:51 -0400, mhoppes@gmail.com confabulated:

> How do I unsubscribe from here?  There are no unsubscribe links at the
> bottom of these messages.

As found in the headers of ALL list messages:

Re: foreign spam slipping through

Posted by Matt <mh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Caleb Cushing wrote:

> the attached email is one of the mails that keeps slipping through.

Please don't send 300kb attachments to a mailing list. Post the message
headers and body to a website you control (or use a service like pastebin)
if you wish to provide a sample.

   End users want eye candy and the "ooo's and aaaahhh's" experience
   when reading mail. To them email isn't a tool, but an entertainment
   form.                                                 -- Steve Lake
  10 days until Thomas Jefferson's 265th Birthday

Re: foreign spam slipping through

Posted by Caleb Cushing <xe...@gmail.com>.
On Friday 04 April 2008 05:40:07 am Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> the attached e-mail didn't have any X-Spam headers. Are you sure it's run
> by SA? in the past, the size limit was 256k, while this mail was bigger, so
> it wouldn't be scanned.  Don't you have this limit still set somewhere?

I bumped the limit within kmail for that reason (also I think it might be as
big as it is to bypass spamassassin). It didn't get scanned the first time I
had to 're-filter' it (but it still didn't score high enough). I see X-Spam
headers in the attachment though, and at least one other person commented on
them. I would lower my required score but I'm pretty sure I get mail that
regularly scores as high as this did that is valid.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 03.04.08 16:12, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> the attached email is one of the mails that keeps slipping through.

the attached e-mail didn't have any X-Spam headers. Are you sure it's run by
SA? in the past, the size limit was 256k, while this mail was bigger, so it
wouldn't be scanned.  Don't you have this limit still set somewhere?

Save the whales. Collect the whole set.

Re: foreign spam slipping through

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
>what's the minimum?

By default 200 of each.  It can be changed, but that isn't a good idea.

        Loren

Re: foreign spam slipping through

Posted by Caleb Cushing <xe...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday 03 April 2008 07:43:58 pm Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> Also, there are constraints like a minimum spam *and* ham learned,
> before Bayes kicks in, yada yada -- but you appear to have resolved that
> already judging by your later post.

what's the minimum?

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 16:12 -0400, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> I have no idea what it says, or why it continues to slip through my filter
> (well why it has a lower score than what's required).
>
> kmail runs spamassassin -L with filters to check for spam
                          ^^
You are explicitly disabling any network tests. See my other post to
this thread. And of course, please see the docs [1]. :)

> I've also told kmail mails from these people are spam before it uses this.
> sa-learn -L --spam --no-sync

sa-learn trains the Bayesian Classifier, which does not know about a
concept like "these people" or an origin in general. It learns the
tokens, the words in the mail.

[1] http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/spamassassin-run.html