Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by "Wen Bo (Bill) Li" <we...@geotab.com> on 2021/10/04 01:09:52 UTC

Dynamically configuring data region

Hi,

I am curious if there is a way to dynamically add a new data region
after calling Ignition.start()? I tried locally by starting one instance
with just a default region and starting a second instance with an
additional data region called regionA. After this, I used a simple thin
client program to create a cache in regionA and got connection refused
error. It seems like it will only work when regionA exists on both Ignite
instances.

I am new to Apache Ignite and would really appreciate if someone can
provide some insights on this. Thanks!

Regards,
Bill

Re: Dynamically configuring data region

Posted by andrei <ae...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

No you can not. Moreover, you should be aware that data regions should
usually be created on all data nodes, because if your cache is
replicated or partitioned, it will be created on all nodes and will try
to use the region specified in its configuration.

So the correct way is:

1) Add your data region to the configuration of all nodes.
2) Stop the cluster and start it again.
3) Add a new cache config that will use this region. (it can be done
with step 2)

However, do not create a cache that will use this new area before it is
created on all data nodes.

BR,
Andrei