Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Phillip Farber <pf...@umich.edu> on 2009/09/30 22:54:25 UTC

mergefactor=1 questions

In order to make maximal use of our storage by avoiding the dead 2x
overhead needed to optimize the index we are considering setting
mergefactor=1 and living with the slow indexing performance which is not
a problem in our use case.

Some questions:

1) Does mergefactor=1 mean that the size of the index on disk increases
only due to <add/>s or is there some sort of merging that happens that
temporarily inflates disk usage?

2) It was mentioned that, with "per-segment readers", an optimized index
may not be the best option.

What are per-segment readers? Is this configurable or some sort of default?

What are the cases where an optimized index (one segment) might not be
the best option?

Thanks!

Phil