Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Norman Walsh <nd...@nwalsh.com> on 2000/07/10 22:32:23 UTC

Re: Docbook DTD, DocBook XSL and FOP version compatibility?

/ Sebastian Rahtz <se...@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> was heard to say:
| Yes, PassiveTeX implements the March 2000 spec; as far as I know, my
| TEI XSL FO stylesheets are the only publicly available styles which
| are for March 2000.

I believe that my DocBook XSL Stylesheets (as per v1.14) are also up
to date. If you find that I'm mistaken, please tell me.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | There are things which don't deserve to be
XML Technology Center     | said briefly.--Jean Rostand

Re: Docbook DTD, DocBook XSL and FOP version compatibility?

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
Hi, Sebastian

My "woes" with CVS stopped. There are some permissions things happening,
evidently, but if you use the web front-end to the FOP CVS workspace you can
retrieve my initial FO files from docs/examples/pagination.

Arved

At 09:24 AM 7/11/00 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>Arved Sandstrom writes:
> > "fo:page-sequence", as I read the spec, can refer to either a
> > simple-page-master _or_ a page-sequence-master, using the "master-name"
> > attribute.
>
>sorry, yes, I agree. it need not be a page-sequence-master. but there
>must be *some* value for master-name.
>
> > The intent is clearly that simple-page-masters can be used
independently. I
> > have so implemented things in FOP. I cannot interpret the Contents
> > subsection for fo:layout-master-set (Section 6.4.6 of the spec),
> >
> > (simple-page-master|page-sequence-master)+
>
>agreed.
>
>but we agree that Norm's stylesheets are not right at this moment.
>
> > I suspect that my woes with CVS are going to continue for a bit, and I'll
> > send a ZIP of my example FO files to you (Sebastian) if that is OK. The
>
>I'd be very glad to see them, if you have a moment.
>

>sebastian

Senior Developer
e-plicity.com (www.e-plicity.com)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
"B2B Wireless in Canada's Ocean Playground"

Re: Docbook DTD, DocBook XSL and FOP version compatibility?

Posted by Sebastian Rahtz <se...@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>.

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 11:03 PM 7/10/00 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>Norman Walsh writes:
>
> > | Yes, PassiveTeX implements the March 2000 spec; as far as I know, my
> > | TEI XSL FO stylesheets are the only publicly available styles which
> > | are for March 2000.
> >
> > I believe that my DocBook XSL Stylesheets (as per v1.14) are also up
> > to date. If you find that I'm mistaken, please tell me.
>
>I just downloaded 1.14 and find (with a small sample):
>
> a) (small thing) use of "centered" as value for text-align-last
> (should be center)
>
> b) the preamble isn't right, I believe:
>
>consider this, just created:
>
>   <fo:layout-master-set>
>      <fo:simple-page-master master-name="right" margin-top="75pt"
margin-bottom="25pt" margin-left="100pt" margin-right="50pt">
>         <fo:region-body margin-bottom="50pt"/>
>         <fo:region-after extent="25pt"/>
>      </fo:simple-page-master>
>      <fo:simple-page-master master-name="left" margin-top="75pt"
margin-bottom="25pt" margin-left="50pt" margin-right="100pt">
>         <fo:region-body margin-bottom="50pt"/>
>         <fo:region-after extent="25pt"/>
>      </fo:simple-page-master>
>   </fo:layout-master-set>
>   <fo:page-sequence id="start-of-chap01">
>      <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-after">
>         <fo:block text-align-last="centered" font-size="10pt">
>            <fo:page-number/>
>         </fo:block>
>      </fo:static-content>
>
>How does the page-sequence know to use the "left" and "right" page masters?
>
>I read the spec to say that page-sequence needs a "master-name"
>attribute, which would refer to a page-sequence-master created
>earlier, as in
>
> <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="twoside">
>  <fo:repeatable-page-master-reference master-name="simple"/>
> </fo:page-sequence-master>
> <fo:page-sequence master-name="twoside">
>

>Please, if I have misread the spec, tell me where! It is important
>that we get this right. My view is that you *must* set up at least one
>page-sequence-master, and that a page-sequence must refer to a
>page-sequence-master.
>
>I'd like to hear what the incoming new sample files for FOP2000 do in
>this respect.
>
>Sebastian

Once I get CVS things worked out (:-)) I'll have some of those sample files
available.

"fo:page-sequence", as I read the spec, can refer to either a
simple-page-master _or_ a page-sequence-master, using the "master-name"
attribute. The spec indicates that master-names for all
page-sequence-masters and simple-page-masters must be unique within the
layout-master-set.

My read of the spec indicates that one does not need a page-sequence-master.
The intent is clearly that simple-page-masters can be used independently. I
have so implemented things in FOP. I cannot interpret the Contents
subsection for fo:layout-master-set (Section 6.4.6 of the spec),

(simple-page-master|page-sequence-master)+

in any other fashion.

A page-sequence _must_ have a master-name (Section 7.33.8 of the Spec). As
such, the above example is incorrect. The master-name attribute can
reference any unique simple-page-master or page-sequence-master.

In the case of a requirement for "left" and "right" page-masters, the spec
suggests the "fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives" mechanism. The
fo:layout-master-set would contain the 2 simple-page-master's, with
master-names "left" and "right", say, and a
fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives that contains 2
conditional-page-master-reference FO's, one with a master-name of "left" and
one with "right". The conditional-page-master-ref's would use the
"odd-or-even" property to effect the desired switching.

I suspect that my woes with CVS are going to continue for a bit, and I'll
send a ZIP of my example FO files to you (Sebastian) if that is OK. The
current implementation (as I have it) processes these FO's, so it's not
vapourware. :-)

Arved Sandstrom

Posted by Norman Walsh <nd...@nwalsh.com>.
/ Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca> was heard to say:
| Hi, Norm
|
| Your latest FO is spot-on, pagination-wise. Of course, that just means you agree
| with my interpretation of the spec. :-) However, without unduly aggrandizing
| myself, I think after many hours I captured the XSL spec ideas in this regard,
| and I am probably not too far off base.

Then please give 1.15 a try (http://nwalsh.com/docbook/xsl/)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | We are afraid of the old age which we may
XML Technology Center     | never attain.--La Bruy\`ere

Re: Docbook DTD, DocBook XSL and FOP version compatibility?

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
Hi, Norm

Your latest FO is spot-on, pagination-wise. Of course, that just means you agree
with my interpretation of the spec. :-) However, without unduly aggrandizing
myself, I think after many hours I captured the XSL spec ideas in this regard,
and I am probably not too far off base.

Regards, Arved

Posted by Norman Walsh <nd...@nwalsh.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Rahtz <se...@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>.