Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by xaruman <xa...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/10 17:07:41 UTC

Log4Net log into a remote C# App

Hi

I've been looking for a solution during several days but I've not found
anything. The issue is that I have an application which is saving logs by
log4net (a log file) and I need to "capture" this logs into a remote
application. I thought about mapping the log file into my remote
application, but I think that maybe there is a solution to my problem using
directly log4net functionality.

Is it possible to "subscribe" remotely to a log4net logging? I mean, what I
need is that when A application prints a log into its log file, my B
application in a different computer advices this and display the information
in a win form. Remote append? a Server/client append? I have no idea about
how to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help. Hope having been clear enough.

Re: Log4Net log into a remote C# App

Posted by George Mauer <gm...@gmail.com>.
You certainly can do that.

For example you could use
log4net.GrowlAppender<https://www.nuget.org/packages/log4net.GrowlAppender/>
and
use Growl as a transport medium. If you want to use HTTP or something else
just implement your own appender. You can look at the source
code<https://bitbucket.org/togakangaroo/log4net.growlappender/src/0f1c713ea639892eaa18380cf6b50fba194925cb/log4net.GrowlAppender/GrowlAppender.cs?at=default>for
the growlAppender for reference, it's all of 70 lines of code.