Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2007/01/27 04:14:24 UTC

JSR 173 Maintenance Review

Hi,

I noticed that JSR 173 is up for maintenance review. I remember there
was some confusion and discussion on legal-discuss about the license
of the API and RI since they moved to codehaus under the AL2. I think
this was settled in the end, but am wondering - is this something
that is appropriate to ask to be explicitly stated in the JSR revision?

Andy - BTW, I've also sent some technical feedback to the comments
address and would be interested to hear if the EG receives it.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: JSR 173 Maintenance Review

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
It was clarified here: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-
legal-discuss/200604.mbox/%
3C9186D1D624F88F469BE0CC4F2DDB970B774BE4@repbex02.amer.bea.com%3E

It seems at the time they said that the JSR page would be updated
immediately, so there's every chance it's already in mind for this
revision.

There have been a few posts before that, and since, confused about
the license of the API and the RI, and which RI is the real one :)

The current list of ones floating around associated directly with the
RI (not independent implementations) seem to be:
- the original RI under the less permissive license, from BEA's site
(via the JSR page)
- the one distributed with xmlbeans which I think was the first under
AL2, which they get from http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmlpullparser/
- the one that is now supposed to be the RI, at http://stax.codehaus.org

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
I would definitely like to hear some clarification from the EG about the
license of the jsr173.jar and the RI. Preferrably I would like to see the
Sun download page use the AL2 license (which the jar should be under IIUC)
and also a license file included in the jars.

I would like to see clarifications to the XMLStreamReader APIs as to when
the various methods should return null or "" for default namespaces or no
prefixed elements.

I would also like to see the current RI go away as its been buggy and slow
in the past. Woodstox is much better, under the AL2, and actively
maintained.

Cheers,

- Dan

--