Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kylo Ginsberg <ky...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/26 23:58:57 UTC

svn: Directory 'x/y/z' is missing

I am doing a poor-man's sparse directory script that checks out a
subset of a tree something like this:

# checkout top level non recursively
svn co -N -r "$rev" $SVNROOT/$baseDir .

# descend a tree doing non-recursive updates
svn up -N -r "$rev" $path

# until at a point where we want a fully populated tree, do a standard update
svn up  -r "$rev" $path

I can then turn around a run an svn update and I generally don't pick
up any directories outside of the subset of interest.  However,
sometimes (perhaps if there were updates to parts of the tree outside
the subset of interest?), an "svn update" will produce a message like:

svn: Directory 'x/y/z' is missing

and then a subsequent "svn update" will haul in a bunch of unwanted
directories, possibly stopping at another "svn: Directory ... is
missing" message.

I would like an svn update to only update the tree I have checked out,
not to haul in unwanted directories.  Any recommendations?

My current thought is that, parallel to the above checkout script,
would be an update script that would similarly march down the tree
doing non-recursive or normal updates as appropriate.

Thanks,
Kylo

Re: svn: Directory 'x/y/z' is missing

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 3/27/07, Kylo Ginsberg <ky...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am doing a poor-man's sparse directory script that checks out a
> subset of a tree something like this:
>
> # checkout top level non recursively
> svn co -N -r "$rev" $SVNROOT/$baseDir .
>
> # descend a tree doing non-recursive updates
> svn up -N -r "$rev" $path
>
> # until at a point where we want a fully populated tree, do a standard update
> svn up  -r "$rev" $path
>
> I can then turn around a run an svn update and I generally don't pick
> up any directories outside of the subset of interest.  However,
> sometimes (perhaps if there were updates to parts of the tree outside
> the subset of interest?), an "svn update" will produce a message like:
>
> svn: Directory 'x/y/z' is missing
>
> and then a subsequent "svn update" will haul in a bunch of unwanted
> directories, possibly stopping at another "svn: Directory ... is
> missing" message.
>
> I would like an svn update to only update the tree I have checked out,
> not to haul in unwanted directories.  Any recommendations?
>
> My current thought is that, parallel to the above checkout script,
> would be an update script that would similarly march down the tree
> doing non-recursive or normal updates as appropriate.

That's your only option... Sparse directories the real way are still
some work away.

bye,

Erik.