Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Meir Yanovich <me...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/17 21:21:44 UTC

[users@httpd] does apache and its extensions will be suitable for multi users chat or games

Hello all
i wander can i use apache server for web based chat systems or multi users games
as the servers that handles the connections and threads handling .

Re: [users@httpd] does apache and its extensions will be suitable for multi users chat or games

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Meir Yanovich wrote:
> can you please explain or give some more info/links to read
> what plug ins do i need or recommended setup
> thanks
>
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
> <uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:
>> On 17.06.08 21:21, Meir Yanovich wrote:
>>> i wander can i use apache server for web based chat systems or multi users games
>>> as the servers that handles the connections and threads handling .
>> Yes, you can and threads have nothing to do with it.
>> --
Meir,
you don't really provide enough details about what you intend to do, for
people to be able to help you.
There are probably hundreds of chat programs and games that /can/ be run
under Apache, and people here are not mind-readers who know exactly what
you want to do.

May I suggest an alternative approach, that will probably be more
efficient and less frustrating for you ?

Select a chat program and/or a game of which you know it /can/ be run
under Apache (maybe in a game chatroom they can tell you).
Then follow the instructions about installing that chat/game program
with Apache.  The developers of that program certainly give precise
instructions about which computer to use, which version of Apache, how
to get and install it, what add-on modules you need, how to set them up,
etc..
And if it does not work, then come back here with a description of what
you are doing, and the kind of problems you encountered.
I am sure that then, there will be more people here able and willing to
help you.

André

P.S.
When you communicate a problem, try to provide information such as :
- which chat/game program you are trying to run under Apache
- the type of system you are trying this on (Windows, Linux)
- the version of Apache you are using
- which non-standard add-ons are installed
- describe the problem you encounter

Re: [users@httpd] does apache and its extensions will be suitable for multi users chat or games

Posted by Meir Yanovich <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Raul Santiago wrote:
[...]

Interesting how different people can say essentially the same thing in a
different way.. And nicely, too.

Re: [users@httpd] does apache and its extensions will be suitable for multi users chat or games

Posted by Raul Santiago <ra...@raulsantiago.net>.
Meir Yanovich escribió:
> Hello all
> i wander can i use apache server for web based chat systems or multi users games
> as the servers that handles the connections and threads handling .

Hello Meir.
Your question is not specifically related to Apache server, not to any
server. You're asking for information about a software (chat / games)
that may work with a wide range of web/application servers; It will only
depend on the language/framework they're going to be developed (or are
already developed).
And once they're done, it will work in a variety of  app servers...
Apache + mods, Tomcat, JBOSS, Websphere...

To keep it simple, an analogy:
You're asking if a box will be right for get things into. And my answer
is get the things first, and then look for the best box. :)

--

Un saludo,
Raul Santiago Gomez