Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Jan Arend Jansen <no...@xs4all.nl> on 2008/01/04 13:31:52 UTC

Deployment during development

Hi,

There are many ways to deploy a project during development of an application
on Servicemix, but non of them seem to work very well (or I am using them
incorectly)

- jbi:servicemix fails often because of missing dependencies that are
located at SERVICEMIX_HOME/lb. This is the case with the ODE SE for example.

- jbi:projectDeploy on a clean stanalone servicemix server works. Once. A
redeploy will consistently fail, until I delete the 'data' directory. I also
tried -DforceUpdate, but still errors. Mainly:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Process store and JBI out of synch.

- Copy the SA into SERVICEMIX_HOME/hotdeploy works, but is failing on a
running server often (FileNotFound exception. The process cannot access the
file because its being used by another process). I need to restart the
server, clean the data directory again to make it work....The problem is
caused by the time it takes to copy the SA archive. The polling of SMX does
not handle 'copy-in-progress' well, or so it seems. And I always need to
clean the data directory, or errors occur

Which is the best way to develop round-trip on a local machine? How do I
workaround the indicated problems?

Thanks,
Jan

Re: Deployment during development

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 4, 2008 5:54 AM, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008 1:31 PM, Jan Arend Jansen <no...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > There are many ways to deploy a project during development of an
> > application
> > on Servicemix, but non of them seem to work very well (or I am using them
> > incorectly)
> >
> > - jbi:servicemix fails often because of missing dependencies that are
> > located at SERVICEMIX_HOME/lb. This is the case with the ODE SE for
> > example.
>

> You should raise a JIRA on Ode so that any missing dependency is included in
> the component.
> In an ideal world, components would not rely on the container classpath for
> required dependencies.
> The workaround is what you suggest: put it in the lib directory.
>

> > - jbi:projectDeploy on a clean stanalone servicemix server works. Once. A
> > redeploy will consistently fail, until I delete the 'data' directory. I
> > also
> > tried -DforceUpdate, but still errors. Mainly:
> > java.lang.IllegalStateException: Process store and JBI out of synch.
> >

> This is also a problem from the Ode component.  I don't think ServiceMix had
> anything to do with that afaik.
>

> > - Copy the SA into SERVICEMIX_HOME/hotdeploy works, but is failing on a
> > running server often (FileNotFound exception. The process cannot access
> > the
> > file because its being used by another process). I need to restart the
> > server, clean the data directory again to make it work....The problem is
> > caused by the time it takes to copy the SA archive. The polling of SMX
> > does
> > not handle 'copy-in-progress' well, or so it seems. And I always need to
> > clean the data directory, or errors occur
>

> This is something that may be enhanced in servicemix.  As a workaround, you
> should be able to just "touch" the file once it has been copied.  Or first
> copy it on another folder and then simply "move" it.  Could you please raise
> a JIRA ? Also, you may want to provide a patch for that.

This last issue is definitely an issue with copy vs. move. On Linux
and Unix platforms the mv utility is atomic whereas the cp utility is
not. I've seen this with many other types of middleware that support
hot deployment because they try to grab the artifact and deploy it
before it's fully copied. The only solution I've ever found to this is
to do a move rather than a copy because of the atomicity of the move
command.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: Deployment during development

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
The only other BPEL engine packaged as a JBI component is the one from Sun
and I've never used it so I can't talk about it.
Anyway, I'm sure it should be quite easy to fix all these problems which
lower the productivity.

On Jan 4, 2008 2:02 PM, Jan Arend Jansen <no...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Ok so most of it is related to Ode....
> I've had many problems with this component. Are there alternatives for a
> BPEL process engine that integrates with ServiceMix?
>
> Thanks
> Jan
>
> gnodet wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 4, 2008 1:31 PM, Jan Arend Jansen <no...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> There are many ways to deploy a project during development of an
> >> application
> >> on Servicemix, but non of them seem to work very well (or I am using
> them
> >> incorectly)
> >>
> >> - jbi:servicemix fails often because of missing dependencies that are
> >> located at SERVICEMIX_HOME/lb. This is the case with the ODE SE for
> >> example.
> >

> > You should raise a JIRA on Ode so that any missing dependency is
> included
> > in
> > the component.
> > In an ideal world, components would not rely on the container classpath
> > for
> > required dependencies.
> > The workaround is what you suggest: put it in the lib directory.
> >

> >> - jbi:projectDeploy on a clean stanalone servicemix server works. Once.
> >> redeploy will consistently fail, until I delete the 'data' directory. I
> >> also
> >> tried -DforceUpdate, but still errors. Mainly:
> >> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Process store and JBI out of synch.
> >>

> > This is also a problem from the Ode component.  I don't think ServiceMix
> > had
> > anything to do with that afaik.
> >

> >> - Copy the SA into SERVICEMIX_HOME/hotdeploy works, but is failing on a
> >> running server often (FileNotFound exception. The process cannot access
> >> the
> >> file because its being used by another process). I need to restart the
> >> server, clean the data directory again to make it work....The problem
> is
> >> caused by the time it takes to copy the SA archive. The polling of SMX
> >> does
> >> not handle 'copy-in-progress' well, or so it seems. And I always need
> >> clean the data directory, or errors occur
> >

> > This is something that may be enhanced in servicemix.  As a workaround,
> > you
> > should be able to just "touch" the file once it has been copied.  Or
> first
> > copy it on another folder and then simply "move" it.  Could you please
> > raise
> > a JIRA ? Also, you may want to provide a patch for that.
> >

> >> Which is the best way to develop round-trip on a local machine? How do
> >> workaround the indicated problems?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jan
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Guillaume Nodet

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

Re: Deployment during development

Posted by Jan Arend Jansen <no...@xs4all.nl>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 4, 2008 1:31 PM, Jan Arend Jansen <no...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are many ways to deploy a project during development of an
> application
> on Servicemix, but non of them seem to work very well (or I am using them
> incorectly)
>
> - jbi:servicemix fails often because of missing dependencies that are
> located at SERVICEMIX_HOME/lb. This is the case with the ODE SE for
> example.

You should raise a JIRA on Ode so that any missing dependency is included in
the component.
In an ideal world, components would not rely on the container classpath for
required dependencies.
The workaround is what you suggest: put it in the lib directory.

> - jbi:projectDeploy on a clean stanalone servicemix server works. Once. A
> redeploy will consistently fail, until I delete the 'data' directory. I
> also
> tried -DforceUpdate, but still errors. Mainly:
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Process store and JBI out of synch.

This is also a problem from the Ode component.  I don't think ServiceMix had
anything to do with that afaik.

> - Copy the SA into SERVICEMIX_HOME/hotdeploy works, but is failing on a
> running server often (FileNotFound exception. The process cannot access
> the
> file because its being used by another process). I need to restart the
> server, clean the data directory again to make it work....The problem is
> caused by the time it takes to copy the SA archive. The polling of SMX
> does
> not handle 'copy-in-progress' well, or so it seems. And I always need to
> clean the data directory, or errors occur

This is something that may be enhanced in servicemix.  As a workaround, you
should be able to just "touch" the file once it has been copied.  Or first
copy it on another folder and then simply "move" it.  Could you please raise
a JIRA ? Also, you may want to provide a patch for that.

> Which is the best way to develop round-trip on a local machine? How do I
> workaround the indicated problems?
>
> Thanks,
> Jan

Cheers,