Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thomas Eitzenberger <th...@siemens.at> on 2000/12/07 14:30:15 UTC

How to design a application context servlet

Hi all !

We are at the moment designing a telecom focused portal here at Siemens
Austria based on EJB technology. Due to the restrictions of EJB we are
not able to cover port listeners inside the EJBs and are thinking of
"outsourcing" this task to a JSP/Servlet engine.

For this to work we would need a servlet that is started in the startup
of the Servlet engine and will stay in memory (so not
serialized/passivated) and active all the time. It will create a pool of
threads that will listen on different ports for incoming messages from
external systems and will forward this info via JMS to the
EJB container.

Now according to my fellows here the Servlet Spec 2.2 does NOT cover any
"application scope" servlet. In other words it is NOT guaranteed that a
servlet is active al the time Is this right ?? Is there no way to get a
servlet to be in memory and active all the time the servlet engine is
running ?

Please respond to mailto:thomas.eitzenberger@siemens.at

Any help would be greatly appreciated

with best regards and happy tomcatting :o)

ET

Re: How to design a application context servlet

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Thomas Eitzenberger wrote:

| For this to work we would need a servlet that is started in the startup
| of the Servlet engine and will stay in memory (so not
| serialized/passivated) and active all the time. It will create a pool of
| threads that will listen on different ports for incoming messages from
| external systems and will forward this info via JMS to the
| EJB container.

You can get a servlet to start up on startup of tomcat. This could fork
off a (couple of) thread(s) that kept your threadpool running. If the
servlet container decides that it doesn't need the servlet anymore, I
don't think it would kill the threads.

--
Mvh,
Endre