Posted to general@xml.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2003/12/30 03:05:48 UTC

Re: Commons confusion

David Crossley wrote to commons-dev@xml:
> I see the Apache Jakarta Commons project being referred to
> as "Apache Commons" or even just plain "Commons". Then there
> is the new "real" top-level Apache Commons project, whose home
> page mentions the confusion between it and Apache Jakarta Commons.
> but does not even mention Apache XML Commons.
>
> This is not good for the visibility of the Apache XML Commons project.
> Should XML Commons be re-named, or perhaps even merged with the new
> Apache Commons?
<snipped an irrelevant comment/>

This topic did not receive any reply on the "XML Commons" mailing
list so now trying on general@xml ...

Today we saw evidence of user confusion:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-apache-general&m=107274000508241

--David

Re: Commons confusion

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> How does this play into the idea of creating an XML federation of
> projects?  If the commons part was to be put into the Apache commons
> project, could we still reference it within the XML project (or really
> web site).
>
> I am not intimately accross the commons stuff - what do others who are
> involved think?

Ok so we seem have several federations:
- Stuff dealing with serving the web (in whatever sense): HTTPD,
  James, PHP, AxKit, Tomcat...
- Stuff dealing with XML: Xerces-J, Xerces-C, Xerces-P, Xalan-J,
  Xalan-C, FOP, XML Commons,...
- Stuff dealing with Java: Tomcat, Ant, Xerces-J, Xalan-J, FOP,
  Jakarta Commons, ...
- Commons stuff: smaller libraries and building blocks for other
  projects: Jakarta commons, XML commons, Apache Commons
Perhaps add a C/C++, PHP, Perl and whatever federations someone
feels necessary.

Ok, it's no longer a hierarchy, it's a network!

J.Pietschmann

Re: Commons confusion

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Good question.

How does this play into the idea of creating an XML federation of
projects?  If the commons part was to be put into the Apache commons
project, could we still reference it within the XML project (or really
web site).

I am not intimately accross the commons stuff - what do others who are
involved think?

Cheers,
	Berin