Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2020/06/15 14:08:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] rename our "master" branch

Hi all,

I would like to take the opportunity to discuss with you, if we should perhaps change the name of our “master” branch.

I do know that currently the discussion is mainly based on the fact that for some people “master” seems to imply “slave” and this sort of maps to other cultural issues that might come up in conjunction with this. My suggestion actually doesn’t have anything to do with this reasoning, even if the thought was indeed sparked by this discussion. And if in the end it makes more people happy, that’s an even bigger benefit.

The main reason is that I am working on a lot of project and every project sort of handles branch names differently. Some develop on “master” and release in release branches, some develop on “develop” and release to master etc.

I really like developing on “develop” … the name of the branch sort of set’s what it’s used for … same with release and feature branches … however “master” sort of always droped out of this pattern.

So I would like to suggest we rename “master” to “release(d)” … this way every new contributor will automatically know what’s used for what.

What do you think?

Chris

Re: [DISCUSS] rename our "master" branch

Posted by Niklas Merz <ni...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone,

From my perspective renaming "master" like PLC4X uses it to "release"
makes it easier to understand for newcomers. +1 from me.

At first I was kind of confused when I got in touch with PLC4X. Almost
all projects, I know very well, use the branch "master" as the main
development branch. So if you develop on the "develop" branch and do
releases on the "release" branch helps getting over that confusion and
totally makes sense to me.

Actually I may start to like PLC4Xs naming more over the conventional
naming.

Kind regards
Niklas

Posted by Lukas Ott <ot...@gmail.com>.