Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Martin Ansant <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2004/03/25 10:56:48 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_auth ...

Hi there,

I've been googling without results , please help ..

I'm running apache 1.3 with the standard mod_auth on a
redhat 7.2 machine.
then whenever I place a .htaccess file in a  directory

==============.htaccess=====================
AuthType Basic
AuthName "title"
AuthUserFile htaccess_user
AuthGroupFile htaccess_group
<Limit POST>
require group group1
require user user1 user2 user3
</Limit>
====================================
then I get :

configuration error:  couldn't check access.  No
groups file?: path/to/the/script_trying_to_run

things I've checked, (I haven't configure the system,
it is a "company-production-server " and Im very new
there :-()

1. if auth_pam is used -> NO
2. if  AllowOverride is correct -> YES
3. if the groupfile userfile exist -> YES
4. if there is any include overriding -> NO
5. if groupfile userfile are broken Symlinks -> NO
6. if files have proper permisions -> YES
and a tons of more things that dont remember now ...

Any suggestion ?
Im sorry if Im not giving enough info (Im new to
apache) please let me know if you need to know
anything else.

TIA.

-martin

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth ...

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Martin Ansant wrote:
>    Tried this one as well but NO POSITIVE result. This
> is driving me crazy and might cost me the job :)
>
> I dont know what to try next ....help!

Check the AuthAuthoritative setting.  It should be "on".

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth ...

Posted by Martin Ansant <ma...@yahoo.com>.
--- Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

> 1. Put the full unix paths to htaccess_user and
> htaccess_group.  Otherwise
> apache assumes they are in the ServerRoot.

  I did, in fact the where absolute paths first and I
changed them trying to figure out the problem, Anyway
the ServerRoot points to the correct place (where the
user_file and group_file are)

> 2. Don't use <Limit POST>.  If you want to limit
> everything, then just
> leave out the <Limit POST> and </Limit> lines.  If
> you want to limit
> everything but regular access, use <LimitExcept
> GET>.
   Tried this one as well but NO POSITIVE result. This
is driving me crazy and might cost me the job :)

I dont know what to try next ....help!

Tnx,

//mauro//

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth ...

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Martin Ansant wrote:
> ==============.htaccess=====================
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "title"
> AuthUserFile htaccess_user
> AuthGroupFile htaccess_group
> <Limit POST>
> require group group1
> require user user1 user2 user3
> </Limit>
> ====================================
> then I get :
>
> configuration error:  couldn't check access.  No
> groups file?: path/to/the/script_trying_to_run

Excellent problem report.  Thanks for all the details.

Here's where I'd start:

1. Put the full unix paths to htaccess_user and htaccess_group.  Otherwise
apache assumes they are in the ServerRoot.

2. Don't use <Limit POST>.  If you want to limit everything, then just
leave out the <Limit POST> and </Limit> lines.  If you want to limit
everything but regular access, use <LimitExcept GET>.

Joshua.