Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2003/06/04 14:49:15 UTC

Committers let's agree on how we make changes to a plugin

Hi,

What do you think about the following process for making changes to a
plugin (and for accepting patches):

1/ Update xdocs/changes.xml (create it if it does not exist) and
describe the change
2/ Update the goals.xml/properties.xml and more generally the plugin
documentation if changes affecting users have been made
3/ Ensure that the version in plugin.xml is a SNAPSHOT version (i.e. not
delivered). Unless you're making a release of the plugin.
4/ Make sure the <version> section of project.xml is up to date

Almost everytime I make changes to a plugin I find that these simple
rules are not followed (Note: I know dIon is also careful about them).

What do you think?

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: Committers let's agree on how we make changes to a plugin

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
+1 on that one too
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 04:04, Rafal Krzewski wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> > Document it and it will more than likely be followed.
>
> I wish it would be so simple. Humans are lazy and forgetful, even the
> best documenation won't change that. The most common case is that some
> a person wants to apply just a tiny little fix to a plugin.
>
> I think that public scolding people that break the rules will be
> neccessary addition to the documentation...

Personally I would like a tool to help, but that will be a dream for
some time. The releases for example: I don't think you can make quick,
consistent and safe releases without a tool that performs all sorts of
checks and helps you do most of the work. I realize how hard these tools
are to write but ultimately will be the only real solution.

> R.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Committers let's agree on how we make changes to a plugin

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

I have started here:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Maven/PluginModificationGui
delines

I have also linked this page from the Development process page of the
maven web site (but I haven't republished it yet).

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 08:49, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What do you think about the following process for making changes to a
> plugin (and for accepting patches):
>
> 1/ Update xdocs/changes.xml (create it if it does not exist) and
> describe the change
> 2/ Update the goals.xml/properties.xml and more generally the plugin
> documentation if changes affecting users have been made
> 3/ Ensure that the version in plugin.xml is a SNAPSHOT version (i.e. not
> delivered). Unless you're making a release of the plugin.
> 4/ Make sure the <version> section of project.xml is up to date
>
> Almost everytime I make changes to a plugin I find that these simple
> rules are not followed (Note: I know dIon is also careful about them).
>
> What do you think?

+1

Document it and it will more than likely be followed.

> Thanks
> -Vincent

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: Committers let's agree on how we make changes to a plugin

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Done here:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Maven/PluginModificationGui
delines

and linked in the "development process" page.

-Vincent

> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Blog:      http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/dion/