Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Brad Koehn <br...@mail.koehn.com> on 2012/02/12 16:57:04 UTC

partial email service

I'm currently evaluating James 3 for my email server needs. To do this, I've currently setup a subdomain and have an MX record that points to my James server.

What I'm wondering is, can James be configured to handle only certain users of a domain, and send the remaining messages off to another server? I remember setting up other servers (Netscape) to do this, but they had to share a common LDAP directory to determine the correct server to use.

Along those same lines, how do I set up domain-based recipient rewrites? For example, if I want incoming messages for [anyuser]@foo.com to go to the same mailbox as [thesameuser]@bar.com, how do I configure James to do that? I assume I add both domains, but then set up a mapping with "domain:" at the beginning to do the magic. Is that correct? Where is this documented?

Brad

Re: partial email service

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

On 12/02/12 16:57, Brad Koehn wrote:
> I'm currently evaluating James 3 for my email server needs. To do this, I've currently setup a subdomain and have an MX record that points to my James server.
>
> What I'm wondering is, can James be configured to handle only certain users of a domain, and send the remaining messages off to another server? I remember setting up other servers (Netscape) to do this, but they had to share a common LDAP directory to determine the correct server to use.

The configuration happens in mailetcontainer.xml
http://james.apache.org/server/3/config-mailetcontainer.html

You can use a matcher such as RecipientIs and direct the traffic to
different processors.

http://james.apache.org/server/3/dev-provided-matchers.html#RecipientIs

But there is no matcher that reads in a ldap, so you will have to
develop your own

http://james.apache.org/server/3/dev-extend-matcher.html

> Along those same lines, how do I set up domain-based recipient rewrites? For example, if I want incoming messages for [anyuser]@foo.com to go to the same mailbox as [thesameuser]@bar.com, how do I configure James to do that? I assume I add both domains, but then set up a mapping with "domain:" at the beginning to do the magic. Is that correct? Where is this documented?

Read documentation on

http://james.apache.org/server/3/manage-recipientrewrite.html

and play with it. If you don't find the solution, just come back (I will
take more time to help).

thx,
Eric