Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by na...@hitachi.com on 2014/01/31 12:58:08 UTC

support Windows 8.1 near in the future?

Dear VCL Team,

I am a member of the team which posted "VCL-485 Multilingualization of Web UI" before.
We appreciate that you added the function we requested for.

We have another question about VCL.

Do you plan to support Windows 8.1 near in the future?
If so, please let us know about the planned release time and which
version of VCL would support Windows 8.1.
We could not find any information so far on the mailing list or URL below.

Release Notes for VCL2.4
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310840&version=12314385

Roadmap
http://vcl.apache.org/dev/roadmap.html

We are introducing VCL to Japanese universities as our important business,
and we have received strong requests from our customers for VCL's
supporting Windows 8.1. by this summer.

Since our systems in operation are based on VCL 2.2,
they must be upgraded to new version that supports Windows 8.1.
Could you also tell the release timing of the upgrade manual such as
"Upgrade from 2.2 to 2.4"?

Best regards,

Yamanouchi

Re: support Windows 8.1 near in the future?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
Good to hear. Thanks for reporting this.

Aaron

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: support Windows 8.1 near in the future?

Posted by to...@inf.mit.bme.hu.

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hello Yamanouchi,

Thanks for your team's work on the Multilingualization. Many locations
running VCL are making good use of that.

I would like suggest to the larger community we target a 2.4 release
and support for Windows 8.x this spring.

Aaron

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: support Windows 8.1 near in the future?

Posted by na...@hitachi.com.
HI, Aaron Peeler,

Thank you for your reply.
I report to my team I am willing, that there was a reply from you.
As soon as possible, I hope that VCL2.4 of the "New Feature", "additional support for Windows8" is added.

HI, Aaron Toth,

>> We use VCL 2.3.2 with windows 8 and windows server 2012 without any modification in vcl. We didn't try windows 8.1 (and WS 2012R2) yet.
>> Windows 8 image use the Windows 7 module and Windows Server 2012 use Windows Server 2008 module.

I was pleased to read your report.
Architecture of Windows8 is 32bit or 64bit? Cygwin is 32bit or 64bit?
Our team is using a VCL2.2.
I tell my team to your report. we will consider as soon as possible to upgrade to VCL2.3.2.

Best regards,

Nao Yamanouchi
system engineer
Hitachi, Ltd.