Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Dan Silivestru <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/17 21:45:55 UTC

Looking for feedback from the group

Hi Cordova and Ripple communites,

As some of you might know, we had a great hack session with some of the
good folks at Adobe this past week in Whistler. I wanted to email the group
here to update everyone on the progress made and to ask for comments /
feedback.

Please keep in mind that this is still in prototype stage and things will
likely change based on feedback and future work.

The work was primarily done on Ripple and geared towards the
Cordovadeveloper crowd. The two features implemented are as follows:

*Device Proxy*:

Allowing both Ripple and a device running a new Ripple companion app to
connect to a socket server (part of Ripple CLI). This will result in all
api calls (such as the accelerometer api) made by the mobile app inside
ripple to be proxied directly to the connected device running the companion
app. Basically making it such that your application is running in ripple,
but all data will be coming from the connected device. Here are links to
the repos and branches involved.

Ripple device proxy branch:
https://github.com/tinyhippos/Ripple-UI/tree/device.proxy
Ripple companion app: https://github.com/gtanner/ripple-companion

*How to get this stuff running?*

Pretty straight forward.

   - Get ripple setup

git clone git@github.com:tinyhippos/Ripple-UI.git
cd Ripple-UI
git checkout device.proxy
./configure
jake

   - install the CLI (from the Ripple-UI dir)

npm install -g .
ripple

OR

./bin/ripple

   - load ripple as unpacked extension into Chrome (if not using Hosted
   Ripple), more details here:
   https://github.com/tinyhippos/Ripple-UI/blob/next/README.md#running-as-a-chrome-extension
   - compile and install the companion app (if you want to play with Ripple
   Device Proxy)
   - Run the following command over a directory that contains your app

ripple emulate --path <your app's www folder>

   - Open http://localhost:4400 and enable Ripple (probably still best to
   use Chrome for now)
   - Open the Device Proxy ui panel
   - Pair the Ripple companion app with the socket serve

*Hosted Ripple:*

The feature removes Ripple's dependency on the Chrome Extension mechanism.
It gets kicked off from the CLI and essentially acts as a
man-in-the-middle. Allowing Ripple to run in most modern browsers (only
tested on Firefox and Chrome so far).

Ripple hosted branch:
https://github.com/tinyhippos/Ripple-UI/tree/hosted.ripple

*How to run?*

To run a local app, just read this commit message:
https://github.com/tinyhippos/Ripple-UI/commit/81ed4ef7770e22f411bae9fc69bf2d4efe547a14
*
*
To run a remobe app, just read this commit message:
https://github.com/tinyhippos/Ripple-UI/commit/6961052a01aa2550b2f5a4c234cc746ddc88d876
*
*
Also, we spoof the userAgent header with hosted ripple to ensure we get
proper mobile content from loaded sites. Commit with comments here:
https://github.com/tinyhippos/Ripple-UI/commit/9a10a8833706bcdb54663b70bb5dbf7d7b887c8e

*
*
Last by not least, Brian Higgins spent quite a bit of time on the Mobile
Spec app for BB10 and managed to kill about 80+ failing specs. Figured this
was a good time to introduce Brian to the group (cc'd here) :-)

Really looking forward to people's comments / thoughts on these features
and our approach.

Thanks in advance,

--
Dan Silivestru

Re: Looking for feedback from the group

Posted by Brent Lintner <br...@gmail.com>.
Hey All,

It has been some time, and the two (main) things done have yet to be merged
in. :-( Some of the reason is due to it being low priority, and the last
needed tweaks (etc) to get it in has fallen behind on our TODO. Still, not
cool. NOT COOL!

So, to update:

I've been tweaking and fixing any found issues with the "ability to inject
Ripple into any browser" feature (and any other changes that were done
alongside it), and updating the Pull Request (that I referenced last
message) as I went along. I just wanted to let everyone know I WILL be
merging that in this week (ideally, tomorrow).

Regarding the "Device Proxy" feature: I will also be trying to help do some
testing of it from a new user's perspective (ideally this week, pending
other things I need to do first). Hoping we can get that in ASAP, as well!!

For reference, there is now a GitHub pull request for the Device Proxy
feature: https://github.com/blackberry/Ripple-UI/pull/711

--
Brent

Re: Looking for feedback from the group

Posted by Brent Lintner <br...@gmail.com>.
Hey All,

--
Brent

Re: Looking for feedback from the group

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
Fair enough, that does sound pretty great :)

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Dan Silivestru <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Sorry for the prolonged silence here, I'm kinda of on vacation and tried to
stay somewhat disconnected :-)

I also don't think that device proxy will introduce much if any complexity.
The interesting part to me is that it will allow the developer to more
easily expose quirky behaviour that varies from platform to platform since
all API calls will execute on the device directly.

I'm also very excited about what these changes and the groundwork that was
laid can lead to, such as:

Connecting to multiple devices as the same time for test automation and
faster testing across multiple platform
Pushing the UI to the various devices and driving the UI on all of them via
Ripple (similar concept to Adobe Shadow)

Of course, Ripple is meant to fill gaps in the dev experience. As the
platforms get us closer to what we're used to in the rapid dev, parts of
Ripple will evolve to fill new gaps. Always looking for suggestion from the
group on what can be added / removed / improved :-)

Cheers,

Dan.

--
Dan Silivestru
+1 (519) 589-3624

Re: Looking for feedback from the group

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
Can you elaborate?

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
This sounds great.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
This sounds great.

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
Great summary Dan!

Posted by Brent Lintner <br...@gmail.com>.
Hey All,

--
Brent

Re: Looking for feedback from the group

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
Great summary Dan!

Posted by Brent Lintner <br...@gmail.com>.
Update: Here is the (GitHub) Pull Request for the hosted build target. I
plan to leave this open for a while so we can get some solid (code) reviews
and/or discussions going on any of the changes by each commit, specially if
there are any big WTFs with the changes.

--
Brent

Re: Looking for feedback from the group

Posted by Brent Lintner <br...@gmail.com>.