Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/03 23:29:49 UTC

OpenTSDB and Accumulo

A while back, I ported OpenTSDB to Accumulo.  I set it up on a real (test)
cluster, and let it collect some data points.

Eyecandy screenshot attached.  I was just playing around with it.  The
graph shows the culmulative load vs. the queued minor compactions.
 Probably not very useful, but it made a nice picture.

OpenTSDB: http://opentsdb.net
OpenTSDB over Accumulo: https://github.com/ericnewton/opentsdb

Accumulo can be monitored with the standard OpenTSDB, too. You need to turn
on the JMX metrics (conf/accumulo-metrics.xml).  I created a script to
collect tablet server metrics in my copy of tcollector (
https://github.com/ericnewton/ <https://github.com/ericnewton/opentsdb>
tcollector).

-Eric

Re: OpenTSDB and Accumulo

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.
I don't know, but it should be fairly easy; there's a REST API.  You can
always pull datapoints out of accumulo yourself.  I wish I was better at
visualization.

Sometimes, when doing post-failure analysis, it would be *really* nice to
know:

"Hey, was accumulo pushed into swap?"
"Did real memory get low?"
"Was java GC taking more and more time?"
"Huh... the New Generation was really getting huge."

So, that's my interest in it: gathering additional information, so after a
partial failure, we can determine what should be done to prevent problems
in the future.

At this point, it's good enough to use the built-in web server to explore
the datapoints during a failure event.

One thing that would be nice: analyse I/O performance over time to find
hardware that is having problems, but has not yet failed.

-Eric

Re: OpenTSDB and Accumulo

Posted by Ed Kohlwey <ek...@gmail.com>.
Eric,