Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Botelho, Andrew" <An...@emc.com> on 2014/06/02 21:08:22 UTC

Building Mahout Issue

I am trying to build Mahout version 0.9 and make it compatible with Hadoop 2.4.0.
I unpacked mahout-distribution-0.9-src.tar.gz and then ran the following command:

mvn -Phadoop-0.23 clean install -Dhadoop.version=2.4.0 -DskipTests

Then I get the following error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project mahout-integration: Could not resolve dependencies for project org.apache.mahout:mahout-integration:jar:0.9: Could not find artifact org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-core:jar:2.4.0 in central (http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2) -> [Help 1]

Any ideas what is causing this problem and how to fix it?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew Botelho
Intern
EMC Corporation
Education Services
Email: andrew.botelho@emc.com<ma...@emc.com>

Re: Building Mahout Issue

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
This is not a Hadoop issue per-se. Its Mahout not having a build
profile that supports hadoop-2. It appears this was only added for
1.0, per https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-1329.

As a hack you could modify the 0.9's pom.xml to use "hadoop-client"
instead of "hadoop-core". You may have to make this change wherever
there's a "hadoop-core" reference, and may also have to fix some
trivial compile issues. A similar change I did a while ago for CDH4
(hadoop2 based) instead can be found at
https://github.com/QwertyManiac/mahout-cdh4/commit/e5e6e8a1847d15cb70156db479d46bfaf2f22d68.
This was done for 0.8 back then, but not much should have changed for
0.9 in build methods.

Hope this helps!

--
Harsh J